+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no whip finisher.

Hybrid View

Default no whip finisher.

I am new to tying and realized that I don't have a whip finisher. What is the best way to finish a fly without a whip finisher? Any special knot or Knot and head cement combo? I was hoping to start out by tying McEggs and Woolly Buggers to start with, and some simple nymph patterns.
    Thank You. Erich

Talking Hello From Ohio

Eric! or should I call you "Red",
    Youi can whip finish by hand or with a tool. Either will work I will post hand instructions as soon as I can find that dumb web page. If you prefer some flies can be finished with half hitch. depends on what your looking for as a result. PM me I have a group of guys that can help localy.
    Dave

OK! HERE IT IS!!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part304.php
    Last edited by ohiofly; 12-15-2008 at 02:31 AM. Reason: add web addy
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Smile

I teach and the children are taught that they can use the open end of a BALL POINT PEN for a half hich tool. Couple wraps around the pen put the hole over the eye of the hook and slid the thread off. Couple time and the fly is finished. BILL

hutjensmpg Guest

Most bodkins also have a half hitch tool opposite the needle. There are various ways to do it and there are some good videos by Gary Borger out and about on the web. I won't post the exact site since it's a competitor to this one, but if you google it you shouldn't have much trouble finding it.

I don't know what flies or sizes you are tying. But, here in Co. most patterns are on the small size. A carcass of a ball point pen is not going to put the thread where you need it. Same with doing the knot by hand. I learned to whip by hand, but on size 24 etc. it was a random thread layer. The Griffin tool is a pain. The Matarelli tool rocks. Here is a video for both. I don't know why some people are scared to give links, after all, it is called the "information" highway.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/f...ur_whipme.aspx

When I bought my first fly tying kit from Cabela's, it came with a Thompson style whip finisher. That tool was so cumbersome to use for me that I might as well have tried to play the guitar with my feet. Then I met Al Campbell and he showed me how to use a Matarelli whip finisher. Since that day, I've used only the Matarelli and have never owned or even used a Thompson. They are that easy to use. Here is a link to Al's tutorial;
    I apologize that I can't get the link to work. If you go to the main page and in the left column click on Fly Tying, then go to Beginning Fly Tying and scroll down to Lesson #5. Click on that and you can learn about the Matarelli whip finisher.

You'll love that tool.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-15-2008 at 04:43 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Jim,
    Why wouldn't that work for me?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Go to traditionalflies.com
    Click on techniques
    Click on Handwhip Finish

You will be good to go.

Eric
    I would be happy to show you how to use the whip finisher. Stop by the Backpackers Shop in Sheffield and I or any of the guys there will teach you. Maybe even a lesson on some tying to help get you started.

+ Reply to Thread