+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about a rookie and a canoe?

Thumbs up

My personal choice for fishing from a canoe involves concern for stability. I like to fish alone, sittihg in the "front" seat facing the rear. Yhis puts you at a wider place in the canoe. This will also let the canoe "weathervane" slightly in modest breezes and help avoid drag if fishing dries. Just remember to bring that second paddle.

Blog Entries

If you think about it, you are higher off the water sitting in a canoe than you are wading over your knees. In the canoe you lose some of the solidity of your position when you cast, but you will compensate for that rapidly. Like Ray, I sit in the front seat facing the middle of the canoe to balance it out. My knees would not take the kneeling.

One thing, tho, is that is can be tough to land a big fish in a canoe, if you don't have a net. I learned that steelhead fishing once. Ended up beaching the canoe and landing it from shore, which was almost as much trouble as leaning over and falling out of the canoe would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    ...which was almost as much trouble as leaning over and falling out of the canoe would have been.
    Been there, done that. The "barge" is a less-than stable platform under the butt of this boy. I like to use the canoe to get me from spot to spot, then I get out and wade. I will also reiterate the need for EVERYTHING to be lashed down or have a tether attached to it...including your flyrod! PFD should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

One thing I can tell you from experience is that you reallly don't have to cast very far when fishing from a kayak or canoe. That's the benefit of being stealthy. Most people can't cast as far sitting down and they can standing, but it's no big deal because you can get much close to the fish!
    Steve

Of course you know the safety stuff, which cannot be overly emphasized.
    One item we ALWAYS use is our water proof gear bags and all our stuff gets attatched to the stick thingies that cross the canoe between the seats.
    As to your casting concerns and distance......balderdash. We had a "distance guru" in the club at one time. After his expounding to us the "need" for greater distance and the method of attainment (practice) and "what would we do if we could not reach the fish?", he merely shook his head and wandered off when we told him "Hell, if we can't reach the fish, we'll just move the danged boat!"
    Amazing, but it still works.
    .....lee s.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I fish from both a canoe, and a kayak. These are the ultimate adventure vehicles.

I see no problem with standing in a canoe, if it's done properly. It is sometimes necesary to stand in a canoe, to scout the water up ahead, etc....

A kayak is different, because you can completly change directions in less than half of the boat length, come to an immedeate stop, or instant reverse, go over a 20' waterfall and come out unscathed, etc.....something impossible in any other type of watercraft. Kayaks are unsinkable. I crash right over rocks and trees in the river all the time.

You can get into places impossible for other people to fish. You have the right boat. Just have fun with it.

All good advice in my experience. I have fished from a canoe every summer weekend for 20 years - until I got a kayak about 5 years ago! Anyway, my only additions are these:
    In the canoe I don't wear a vest, it just gets in the way. A small tackle bag/pouch is sufficient for all I need for warmwater fish. I can leave it on the floor of the craft. I agree that gear should be attached to the craft, but have never leashed my rod - nor have I ever dropped one overboard.
    When wading or in a john boat it is tempting to cast to the side if a fish rises. In a canoe, cast no more to the side than about 45 degrees. You will overbalance if you twist farther (I have never dumped a canoe either.)
    Lastly, since you are new to this fly fishing thing and can only cast 30', let me add this: Casting is NOT throwing. Don't bend your wrist so much (I presume here), don?t extend your arm, and stop the forward cast VERY firmly.
    Fishing from the canoe will be one of the memories I will have in my last moments I am sure - it is the best of times.

+ Reply to Thread