Jason,

My own personal preference in canoe fishing is to cast from the kneeling position. I like it because anytime I sit down (canoe or otherwise) my natural tendency is to slouch? This quickly leads to aching back and neck muscles. Plus, when sitting in a canoe I've always feel insecure and tippy, and that makes me feel that I can't react as well to any sudden movements the boat makes?

When I am kneeling I have four points of contact with the floor of the boat -- both knees and the tops of both feet. Combine those with my butt parked on the paddling saddle and this give me a 5-point contact with my boat. The result, for me, is that I feel like I'm part of my boat -- or the boat is part of me, whichever. It's like we're both the same entity, whereas when I sit in a canoe I feel like a visitor, almost a stranger.

When you kneel in a canoe your lower spine will automatically assume a more upright position. To your spine it's almost as though you are standing on dry ground casting from the bank. Lots easier on your spine.

But kneeling can be hell on your knees, on the tops of your feet, and on your Achilles tendons. The way I dealt with these problems was by installing glue-in kneeling pads for my knees, and glue-in pads for the tops of my feet to rest on.

I also made two rolled-up strips of closed cell foam; once seated in the canoe I stick these foam rolls underneath my ankles (between the boat hull and my ankles. The foam rolls keep my ankles at a more natural angle, very close to the 90-degree angle they'd be at if I were standing? This keeps my Achilles tendons from getting painfully compressed.

I also have constructed a paddling saddle out of closed cell foam. The paddling saddle is custom-fitted to my leg length. The reason for making the saddle was that I wanted my butt to be high enough above the floor of the canoe that the angle of my knee joints is open enough to allow good blood circulation to my lower legs?

Overall, my kneeling arrangement results in a somewhat higher seating position than most people have, but it suits my body lots better comfortwise. And again, having that 5-point contact with your canoe gives you much greater stability and boat control. Plus, kneeling keeps your lower spine oriented in a more natural shape.

In my case, this all adds up to many comfortable and safe hours of canoe fishing.

Joe
"Better small than not at all."