Fishing report for Dec 15 to 22, 2008

As I write this week's column, Christmas is only ten days away. Time to make those last minute gift suggestions for that angler on your list. The first one is really unique, a "Wooden Lure carving kit". This unique gift from Luhr-Jensen, comes with all bodies, hardware and instructions to make five classic wooden plugs. While I have not seen this product here in the lower mainland I have seen them at Surplus Herbies stores in the interior. Fly tying kits are always popular too. Two kits I recommend are the "Angler" brand available through Wal-Mart stores and the "Dragonfly" brand available through most tackle shops. These next two items are sure to please and are available from Lee Valley Tools: The first is a "Diamond Sharpening stick" which is the of a ball point pen and is the handiest knife and hook sharpener I have come across. The second is a product called "Icers" which are set of strap on sandal like cleats, designed to fit over ones boots for walking on ice. This product is ideal for the river angler who has had the experience of slipping and sliding over the algae (referred to in the angling community as river snot) covered rocks in some of our more popular rivers like the Thompson and Stamp. You as the giver will be pleased with "Icers" because they are comparable to the product known as Corkers, sold only in select fly shops at three to four times the price. You will however need to request this one at the service desk since it is not listed in this years catalog. Merry Christmas, Ho Ho Ho!!!

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is out until things warm up again.

The Fraser River backwaters and sloughs are fishing fairly well for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Flesh Fly, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Winter Stone, Coachman, American Coachman, Lioness, Zulu, Souboo, Big Black, Micro Leach, or Sixpack. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Flesh Fly, Eggo, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Big Black, or Kaufmann's Black Stone.

The Vedder River is fair for rainbow, dolly varden, and Steelhead. For rainbow try: Eggo, Stonefly Nymph, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Zulu, Fire Ball, Irresistible, Adams, Renegade, Grasshopper, or Stimulator. For Steelhead try: Big Black, Flat Black, Squamish Poacher, Thor, Polar Shrimp, Popsicle, pink Eggo, Happy Hooker, or Kaufmann's Black Stone

The Harrison is fair to good for cutthroat, and coho. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Stonefly Nymph, Coachman, American Coachman, Fire Ball, Lioness, Zulu, Black Gnat, Souboo, or Sixpack. For coho try Coho Blue, Blue Christmas, olive or black Wooly Bugger, Egg Sucking Leach, Christmas Tree, Bite Me, or Rolled Muddler.

The Chehalis River is fair for rainbow, coho, and steelhead.

The Stave River is slow to fair for cutthroat, rainbow, and coho.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".