+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small Canoe or HobieCat FishCat 75

Hybrid View

Default Small Canoe or HobieCat FishCat 75

I'm getting one or the other for 2009, but have very limited experience flyfishing from a canoe and have never used a one man pontoon. If you are not familiar with the FishCat 75 it has solid pontoons, it's not an inflatable.

The advantages I see in a small canoe are that I can take a friend with me who does not have a pontoon of thier own and it may be better in moving waters than the pontoon.

The advangages of the HobieCat 75 is that it will be smaller, so it will be easier (I think) to manuver on land and probably more stable on the water (when looking at tipping over).

So, what do I need to know about both so I can make a well informed purchase? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

I have no experience with pontoon boats but I do with canoes.I fish alone so I have a 12' solo canoe that does everything it needs to do.Its light and easy to throw in the bed of my PU and easy to launch in the ponds.Ive had canoes of 17'and 14' but this one is best for what I do now.Pontoon boats would be a good choice for still water but I wouldnt want to run any rivers with them.They have limited space for gear also.If you plan on taking someone else with you,a 14' canoe is the minimum I would look at and a 16' would be better.Canoes are not as tippy as you think but you do need to learn how to handle them.Another option is that you can get outriggers for a canoe that would allow you to stand up and cast.Just a thought.Personally,I have never had a problem fly casting while sitting in a canoe but you will need anchors fore and aft to maintain your position.

Question New Canoe

You might want to take a look at the Nucanoe.

http://www.nucanoe.com/specs

A couple BB members have commented on them quite favorably.
    The fish are always right.

Slate Drake 9,

A tandem (2-seat) canoe would let you take a friend fishing, true. But ask yourself how often this is likely to happen? Keep in mind that a lot of people are afraid to get in a canoe.

By chance to you have a buddy who already owns a tandem canoe? If so, perhaps you could talk with him or her and ask if you can occasionally borrow it -- you know, for those occasions when you want to take a friend fishing. That would free you up to purchase the Hobie pontoon rig and use it as the primary platform for your (presumably more numerous) trips where you fish alone.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

I am not familiar with the hobie cat, but I do know that for fishing, I'll choose a pontoon style boat. If I was fishing shallow fast moving water I am not sure I would want the hard 'toons though. That said, pontoon boats do not have as great range as a canoe or or kayak if you want to be able to get away from the crowds.

Have you considerd a pram? They are portable and stable fishing platforms as well.

Take a look at http://www.onefrogtwo.ca/home_en.htm I haven't fished out of a frog boat but I have seen them at shows and will say I am impressed with what I saw and their possibitilies.

Tight lines!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I am not familiar with the hobie cat, but I do know that for fishing, I'll choose a pontoon style boat. If I was fishing shallow fast moving water I am not sure I would want the hard 'toons though. That said, pontoon boats do not have as great range as a canoe or or kayak if you want to be able to get away from the crowds.

Have you considerd a pram? They are portable and stable fishing platforms as well.

Take a look at http://www.onefrogtwo.ca/home_en.htm I haven't fished out of a frog boat but I have seen them at shows and will say I am impressed with what I saw and their possibitilies.

Tight lines!
    I think the Frog Boat is a great choice -- not just because it's Canadian made either (sorry if that was a blatant show of Canuck pride!!!!) -- but I would also agree that a canoe might be your best bet depending on whether you'll be fishing alone primarily or with a friend --if more times out with a friend I would likely go with a nice lightweight canoe (Kevlar perhaps?!?!?) -- one with less rocker and designed for flatwater rather than moving water -- more stable -- and yes, you can stand up in a canoe without tipping (used to demonstrate that by standing on my head in canoe at boys' camp I worked at -- mind you that was a FEW years ago -- but then getting back to that Canuck pride thing again: the definition of a Canadian is somebody who can make love in a canoe without tipping!!!!!)
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

+ Reply to Thread