+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Sharkskin WF-9-F (free)

Talking SA Sharkskin WF-9-F

I have had a chance to cast these lines from 5wt to 8wt. I have a tendency to want to make a long cast in one back cast, via shooting a lot of line. In my experience with these lines, I have found that they are very easy to shoot and turn over very nicely, even at the end of a 90 foot cast, with a bit of extra 'kick' in reserve that will surely help in turning over a 7-9 foot leader with a big fly. I do not own any Sharkskin lines, but have been inclined to buy one to take down into OK to fish for stripers. Mr. Castwell, I am the candidate for the job at hand. I am a picture fanatic who loves to cast big flies on big rods, and if I become your selection for this give away, I will be more than happy to post a report on Long rodding for land locked Linesides with SA's Sharkskin. I will even take with me a concave piece of steel to lay over a stripers face to convert it to a Steelhead.

It may not be the real thing, but it was worth a shot.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Default S A Sharkskin

Will be fishing Erie tribs week of March 23 with a group of serious fishermen. Can set line up on a decent reel and switch it to different rods to see results. Sometimes different set-ups make a difference. We fish most streams from Elk and Walnut down to Raccoon. Would offer plenty of different conditions to see if line can shine. If line performs well comments will be in depth. If less than stellar results comments will reflect that perhaps for others equipment might be more suitable. I always keep in mind that the nut fastened to end of rod is a large factor in results obtained. Some of my friends mention that the nut is not fully tight in my case. If I get opportunity to test line it will then be used as a prize at the Pa. Fish In Pine Creek Valley. Lots of steelhead talk there while we are chasing trout. Thanks for considering my offer.

I own the Sharkskin line in 5wt, and would believe this to be a "big water" line, and not something to be used on small streams. I took the 5wt to Michigan and the Au Sable (Mio and above) was the wrong water for this line, IMO. Product testing of this line should be done on water that would maximize its potential for shooting line long distances with little effort. Not a small water line.

But hey, what do I know. I spend more time baking bread than fishing anyway. Forget I even mentioned it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I have quite a few callouses to remove. Send that stuff to me!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I have the Sharkskin steelhead taper in an 8wt that I just got a great deal on EBAY for. I got it for $63 with the shipping!
    I have been using it for a few weeks now and really am impressed with it to say the least. It turns over extremely easy and floats high in the water. One drawback to it is the water retention which in New York this time of year translates to ICE. I had it out in 20 degree temps and it tends to ice up the guides and reel. To minimize this I just don't reel up between casts as much and it works fine. I'm casting it with a two piece 11' 7/8wt Wildwater river run rod. This rod was also an EBAY find and is fun to cast. The Wildwater rods are sold here in Rochester and are fairly new to the market. I think they will take off and become a very popular brand based on the two I have now.( The second is a 5'6" 3wt that is a blast to fish with)
    Getting back on track here, the other little nuance is the noise it makes going through the guides. It's not as loud as a freight train but you know when it's singing.

Blog Entries

I'm more than willing to try out the SA Sharkskin WF9F on our local steelhead population. Despite the snow (and ice building up on the guides) I plan getting out for several more fishing trips to several Great Lakes tribs ( even one that is open year round for resident rainbows). I would be very pleased to write a review on this line -- I've actually been considering purchasing the line any way. So if the offer is still open, please put my name into the hat. I can promise I'll put the line through its paces and definitely try to determine whether this product is up to the advertised "inspired by nature, perfected by science" "ultimate casting performance" status given by SA or if it just lacks "bite". I'm willing to report on whether the line has the long distance line control (especially if it allows mending and roll casting at long distances); if it is the ideal floating line design for big water and steelhead flies; if the welded streamlined loop (described as slick and strong)really does make for easy connections and seamless fishing (front); and truly see if it stays supple in cold water. In short I'll report on what this line does in the best (or worst) of steelhead fishing in the Great White North -- and if it lives up to its claim of exceptional performance. Whether this line sounds as loud as a freight train going through the guides or not, I want to see if its performance is like a racing locomotive or a train wreck about to happen.

Tight Lines,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Ormsby; 12-13-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

I'd love to throw my hat in the ring if I'm not too late. In 2007 I crafted a
    9'10", 8wt DanCraft, Sig V rod for a trip to Kodiak, Alaska targeting silver salmon. The rod turned out to be a cannon and I had a blast using it! While in Alaska I found I needed at least one weight higher in order to load the rod properly, so this 9wt line would be perfect for this rod.

I would love to try out this new line in the coming year as I'm anticipating returning to Kodiak in September. I also have the opportunity to fish for steelies on the Clearwater, especially the S. Fork of the Clearwater. Several years ago, on my very first trip for steelhead I had the opportunity to hook 21 fish in two days of fishing - not bad for a rookie, and without a guide to boot! The Salmon River is only 2 hours away and I hope to get there in October when the season is optimum for steelhead.

I would love to be able to prove to myself that this new line, which appears way overpriced, lives up to the manufacturer's claims. I work hard for my income and I try to research carefully those items that add to my fly fishing recreation. I would love to try something that is cutting edge, yet, at the price it's offered for, I can't justify spending my hard-earned $$ and then find out it's a bust.

I will definitely put this line through it's paces, especially this Spring on Henry's Lake, ID when the season opens in May. The big Cutts and Cutt-bows are stacked up along the shoreline and a floating line is perfect for those conditions.

If it works as claimed I will be first in line with a testimonial for all FAOL members and visitors - sure to be a boon to SA (ha, ha).

I fish between 50 and 85 days a year while still working full time, raising a family and taking care of a way-too-big-why-did-I-ever-plant-so-much-grass yard, as well as making sure I do what it takes to bless my wife's life (but it's really her that blesses mine). Fly fishing is my opportunity to focus on one thing - cracking the code for that day, and this new line would help me add one more tool in making that happen.

I hope it's me!
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Sounds like a match made in heaven. I fish almost exclusively for steelhead and salmon. In my state they are available every month of the year so the article will be quickly available. It is time for a new line and except for a $5 line from the local super market, I have been using the same old SA lines since the 60's and early 70's.

I promise to use it in the same place I got the 40 incher earlier this Summer. With the Winter run in, they might be bigger now. It will be bigger water this time of year so the line will earn its keep. I'll use it on the No Santiam, the same river I wrote about last time but the time then was Summer and the water shallow and clear. Things change. Probably same fly: Pete's R&B unless I go for something brighter like Pete's Santiam Sunrise. I'll use the Gatti rod and the Martin 72 3:1 multiplier.
    Last edited by Pete Hiatt; 12-14-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    I have quite a few callouses to remove. Send that stuff to me!
    now that's funny..

personally, I don't have enough callouses, but would love some scars all over my hands and fingers...

I would be more than happy to take pictures of my torn up fingers...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I want to thank each of you personally for your offer to report on the fly line. I may be able to offer something like this in the future, who knows. I have selected one victim (uh, ... person) to do the 'Product Review' (report). He is a well known steel header from the Pacific NW, and yes, I actually know him and have fished with him. I think he fishes nearly every day and timing here is important.
    Thanks again for offering to help bail me out.

+ Reply to Thread