Mr. Castwell, I will try out the Sharkskin if you wish. I am an avid steelheader and fish big water regularly. I fish mainly
the Clearwater, Snake and Grande Ronde. I'm one of the few holdouts around here still fishing a single handed rod. I own a two-handed rod (well, ok, two of them) but just like the old way better.

While I am not real technical on the computer and may have trouble submitting photos, I do have some understanding of steelheading. I have learned that it's the line that actually is most important in catching steelhead. While distance is overrated in most trout fishing, the ability to throw a long cast and then be able to control that line is the most important component in steelheading. That of course is why spey casting is so popular.

I do not believe that most steelheaders would be too concerned about the $30.00 cost increase from what they are currently using if the distance/control equation increased. Certainly most serious steelheaders are already using the most expensive lines out there, and many are cutting and blending several expensive lines together to get another foot or two out in the river. You just cannot seperate casting from fishing when steelheading.

I am far from an expert in steelheading, and just because I say I understand steelheading does not mean I at all understand steelhead!

The main problem right now is that it is 5 degrees outside and snowing hard which may affect my next trip somewhat. The real problem though is that the water temperature is low enough that a floating line will not be too successful. I'm not a big fan of nymphing with a bobber even though it is a very effective way to fish with a dry line. As I think Bob Arnold once said, "dynamite works too you know."

Therefore, I believe I can give you an honest assessment of the line as far as casting and mending goes, and right now how it performs in cold weather, but I doubt I will be able to actually catch a fish with it real soon. We have all gone to sink-tips at this time of year. I know there are great steelheaders on your side of the Cascades that have warmer water to fish and could actually catch a fish with it right now.

I could try it on three different rods, a nine foot Sage XP, A nine foot Loomis, and my current favorite, a nine and a half foot Z-axis. All are 8 weights and I am now using an 8 wt. Rio Grand line to compare the Sharkskin against.

What I'm best at is falling in the cold river, trying to wade out for that extra foot, and I could probably guarantee you a couple of pictures of me bobbing down the Clearwater!

Thanks for the consideration, I would like to try the Sharkskin out.