+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Nail-Knots

Normand Guest

wouldnt any type/namebrand of a gel superglue work??

go to your local bigbox department store or hardware store to get some.

after all zap a gap is only a gel type of superglue.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    wouldnt any type/namebrand of a gel superglue work??

go to your local bigbox department store or hardware store to get some.

after all zap a gap is only a gel type of superglue.
    Norm
    The claim by Dave Whitlock and others is that some of the super glues are not waterproof and Zap-a-gap is. I used a hardware brand on a splice 3 years ago and I have had no issues yet...

Brad

Normand,

Without being an expert my opinion is no.....not just any brand is good. I have had experience with different brands. Some did not work as well as or at all on some efforts. When that happens I go to Loctite Supeglue and it works better. Also I did not know that Zap a Gap was supposed to be waterproof. But that also brings up another point for me. I have had or used glue on things exposed to water and over time it tends to separate from the object glued. Hearing that zap a gap is waterproof gives me great encouragement...due to past experience.

Just FYI. My opinion. The only opinion I am an expert on.

Gemrod

Krazy Glue is waterproof
    They also have a gel variety... available everywhere
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Another thing to keep in mind is cyanoacrylate bonding agent (super glue, Zap a Gap, etc.) have a shelf life. They do deteriorate over time. If you see a sale on the stuff it is likely old and could have lost some of its effective bonding abilities. I don?t know what the shelf life is but I usually toss anything 12 months old and I try to purchase Zap a Gap from stores that sell the stuff quickly. I have a busy hobby shop not too far from home where I purchase mine from. They sell several types and sizes. I have noticed they will sell out of certain types or sizes sometimes so I feel confident the stuff is fresh.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Superglue (cyanoacrylate) - dries hard non flexible and is waterproof

Zap a gap - dries by UV is flexible waterproof and a better choice IMHO for use on a line that's whole job is to transfer energy smoothly through a loop.

but both would work. YMMV
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Jimsnarocks
    Don't know if you caught it but to find Zap a Gap go to sponsors. Find dot man and check it out. I think it still doesn't show when you click his link. I warned him when I got my Zap a Gap and he said he was gonna make Zap a Gap more visible. I haven't looked lately.

Point is Dot Man sells Zap a Gap.....even if you don't see it on h is sponsor link. Go to his website or call him. He's great to deal with...as it seems all the sponsors.

Gemrod

Default L2L's

Big Bad Wulff
    If you like furled leaders.....I found a way to remove the mono leader from the L2L and replace it with a furled leader with a tippet ring. Have a few of them made up and you can switch them out at will also.

Just fyi
    Gemrod

Default Dot guy

I couldn't find Zap-a-gap there on the dot guy's site Gemrod. I got some at a local store. The super glue I used to attach my leader to my fly line dried stiff and hard. I don't know if that's a bad thing but I don't like it. Will try the same thing with the zap-a-gap. Hopefully it will dry and set different. I will email Dot guy and ask him about the glue. Thanks Gemrod and merry Christmas, Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread