+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No More Nail-Knots

Hybrid View

1. Default No More Nail-Knots

How about giving credit to Dave Whitlock and Joe Robinson (of Austin Angler) for pioneering this technique? The original article is published here: http://flyfisherman.com/skills/dwnoknot/ .
    Last edited by bazakwardz; 12-10-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Splicing lines has been around for decades. Northwest steelheaders have been using similar methods to customize fly lines for the past 40+ years and I believe they learned these methods from others. It likely all started with the advent of plastic/PVC coated fly lines.

Whom ever started the methods the article you link to is very informative.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Been using Scientific Anglers L2L leaders for a few years now and love them. No need to do anything special. Just twist in a new leader....if you ever wear one out in the first place!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I went to the link bazakwards posted and that is some good stuff. I used the method described by Tom D in his ''No More Nail Knots'' article this week to attach a new leader to my 8wt line. I used super glue for the connection. It seems to hold good and I will put it to the test tomorrow at our club outing.
    I don't know where to get zap-a-gap. Is this something I have to get at a fishing store or a fabric shop? I've heard about it here in the BB alot but have never seen it sold anywhere. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    I went to the link bazakwards posted and that is some good stuff. I used the method described by Tom D in his ''No More Nail Knots'' article this week to attach a new leader to my 8wt line. I used super glue for the connection. It seems to hold good and I will put it to the test tomorrow at our club outing.
    I don't know where to get zap-a-gap. Is this something I have to get at a fishing store or a fabric shop? I've heard about it here in the BB alot but have never seen it sold anywhere. Jim
    Jim

Try the local hobby shop. The kind that sells RC planes and stuff like that (big boy toys). That is where I get mine.

Brad

6. Default

I have no idea when Mr. Whitlock came up with this method. I learned of this type of connection when Al Caucci showed it to me about a dozen years ago. Using this splice, Caucci recommended Krazy Glue, the result is a connection that is smooth, strong and none that I've ever made has ever failed.

Dub

+ Reply to Thread