+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt Water Line in Cold Fresh Water...

Blog Entries

Question Salt Water Line in Cold Fresh Water...

will it work, or do i need to rush out and get another 8wt line quick-like for my trip this weekend?
    thought i had everything, and then in the middle of the night this question popped into my head.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I just used an intermediate TROPICAL line and used it in 35 degree air and 57 degree water in North Carolina with disasterous results the line was like wire cable and a fish ran with a tangle that came off the floor and got stuck in a guide and pulled my rod apart. Luckily we got the rod tip back and still landed the fish but the line is junk and the coating was cut on a snake guide and has pulled apart.

The concern is more about how supple the line would be in the colder weather than whether it is salt or fresh water.

Very soft lines dont work well in hot climates as stiffer lines wont work in colder climates
    Last edited by shorthaul; 12-10-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Wink Not The Case

shorthaul ..............
    That is not the issue here.
    CaseyP did not say that it was a saltwater tropical line. He stated just that it was a saltwater line.
    The normal saltwater line is made for coldwater conditions and will work well. The only problem might be that it will not float as high as a true coldwater, freshwater line because the saltwater line is designed to float in a saltwater environment which needs less floatation than a freshwater environment.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Blog Entries

thanks for the tip about saltwater lines, DickM. i suspected the flotation might be a small issue.

it's the flexibility that i wasn't sure of, so Shorthaul told me the story i thought i'd hear. i don't know if my line is a tropical line or not, but i have to suspect it is. bought it for Florida/Yucatan and so forth back when i knew a lot less than i do now. because of when and where i bought it, i may very well have been fitted out with a tropical line by a well meaning fly shop guy.

so the local Orvis shop has some Silver Label on sale--might be a good idea.

now--how do you all keep track of what line it is you have? the cat has scared away the mouse who used to do all the small writing around here, otherwise i'd mark the line itself...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post

now--how do you all keep track of what line it is you have? the cat has scared away the mouse who used to do all the small writing around here, otherwise i'd mark the line itself...
    Hi Casey - Here's a shameless plug for a friend of mine:

http://flyreeldots.com/

His name is Jerry Brumfield (aka Dotman on FAOL), and he's also a sponsor here. Take a look at his reel dots and case dots. He sells both with a place to write the size and type of line on them with a pointed marker pen. They are, like all the products he sells, absolutely top quality.

Jerry just might be the most honest person I've ever met, so have no fear dealing with him. With any luck, he may just show up at the PA Fish-In as well.

I have no vested interest in his business, but I'm just extremely proud to have Jerry as a friend!

+ Reply to Thread