+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attractors Vs. Imitators

Default Attractors Vs. Imitators

Easy question which do you prefer to fish with?

Attractors

Christopher Chin

Same for me:

Attractors.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

even during a hatch?

Too easy - both. Leave it to the fish to decide, because......
    The fish are always right.

Yup, both. Sometimes an attractor just won't get it done, and sometimes you can throw anything and they'll take it.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Probably 75 to 80 percent of my fishing is done with attractor patterns (preferably dries) unless there is actually a hatch to match. Some of my favorite dry attractors are the Parachute Hare's Ear (doesn't really look like anything but looks a little like everything) and the Stimulator, which is a great fly to drop a nymph off of. For nymphs, I like the Soft Hackled Hare's Ear and A.K. Best's Tri-Color Nymph.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Oh dear, I'm outta the loop it seems. My enjoyment of fly fishing most often involves a knowledge of some aquatic insects actions at the moment. My fly therefore most often represents in some strong way said bug. My preference also is to the floating presentation and thus I find I offer an imitator of the dry fly vain. I never studied the art of the nymph and only go 'down & dirty' when I lay a solid herring style streamer precisely into a tide-drift vain in the near-shore a feeding seam of Salmon.

Normand Guest

yup gotta go with both

I tend to be more with JC. The game is to fool the fish. Start with something that looks like what he is eating at the time, switch to something that looks like something he might want to eat, and resort to Claymore's if none of that other stuff works. Oh, and don't forget the good old wimph (worm).

Realisticly, I rarely fish anything but imitators except for steelhead and nite browns. There is almost always something hatching. Watch the birds. They will tell you. And if not, just enjoy the stream. #2 muddlers can rightly be called an imitator weather you are doing minnow, sculpin, mouse, or frog with them. Truth known, I don't use explosives or bait either though I have felt the urge.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread