Quote Originally Posted by flybop View Post
So then, maybe the time and place that a fly is fished has more to do with it being classified as an attractor or an imitative pattern. Come on, this is fishing. The fish really, really do not care what we think our flies are. They care about the fly having some type of triggering characteristic that makes them think that maybe it is something to eat. In all but very few situations I will take a well-presented fly within a reasonable range of size, profile and color, over any specific pattern that is poorly presented. In my experience, the trout will also.
Great points, Flybop! Proper presentation is numero uno! You mention triggering charactistics as well,,,,. A good fly, whether it is an attractor or imitator by our definations, relies on some kind of "trigger" that makes fish want to eat it. The primary trigger has to be presentation (I like to call it behavior,,,, does the fly behave in a manner that says eat me?) Often we can build additional triggers into our flies. A good example of this is a parachute fly with its' low riding body and exaggerated wing post. Or how about the royal coachman? It is an old pattern that still works well becuz of its numerous built in triggers,,, white visible wings, irridescent peacock herle body and contrasting red band. In rough water, it is still a go to fly for me when the green drakes are hatching. Later on in the season it makes a great ant pattern.

Tight lines!