As most of you probably know, I am brand new at fly fishing. I finally got to get a fly wet today for the very first time at my Uncle's pond. I am not sure what the temp. was but half of the pond had a thin sheet of ice on it, and the eyes on my rod built up with ice, but I had a blast just standing there practicing casting. Thanks for all of the advice on roll casting, it really made a big difference being on water as opposed to my backyard.

The rod and reel I have is one my little brother gave me. It is a Shakespeare SigmaSupra rod, 8 ft for a 5-6 fly line. I am not sure how old the line is that is on it, but I know he gave up fly fishing a few years ago, and it has just been sitting in his garage ever since. The leader definitely needs changeing and I suspect the fly line itself does as well. I will mostly be fishing is small ponds and creeks. I am curious what kind of tippet do I need as well. The reel is the one that came with it, a shakespeare 1094. I know there is no backing on the reel now and I am not sure if I need one or not.

I don't have any idea what kind of fly I was using. I was just practicing with a small hope of actually getting a bite. I am thinking about trying to get as assortment of flies to use as well and was wondering what would you guys buy.

I am not a rich man, and I am hoping to keep all of this around a 100 bucks. Santa usually leaves me a 100 or so every year, although I could be counting my chickens before they hatch. After all, times is hard, and I can't really claim to have been a good boy all year.

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
Jason