+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations needed and appreciated

Question Recommendations needed and appreciated

As most of you probably know, I am brand new at fly fishing. I finally got to get a fly wet today for the very first time at my Uncle's pond. I am not sure what the temp. was but half of the pond had a thin sheet of ice on it, and the eyes on my rod built up with ice, but I had a blast just standing there practicing casting. Thanks for all of the advice on roll casting, it really made a big difference being on water as opposed to my backyard.

The rod and reel I have is one my little brother gave me. It is a Shakespeare SigmaSupra rod, 8 ft for a 5-6 fly line. I am not sure how old the line is that is on it, but I know he gave up fly fishing a few years ago, and it has just been sitting in his garage ever since. The leader definitely needs changeing and I suspect the fly line itself does as well. I will mostly be fishing is small ponds and creeks. I am curious what kind of tippet do I need as well. The reel is the one that came with it, a shakespeare 1094. I know there is no backing on the reel now and I am not sure if I need one or not.

I don't have any idea what kind of fly I was using. I was just practicing with a small hope of actually getting a bite. I am thinking about trying to get as assortment of flies to use as well and was wondering what would you guys buy.

I am not a rich man, and I am hoping to keep all of this around a 100 bucks. Santa usually leaves me a 100 or so every year, although I could be counting my chickens before they hatch. After all, times is hard, and I can't really claim to have been a good boy all year.

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
    Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Tell ya what.....I have a few extra used WF5-F lines hanging around..maybe a Cortland or an Orvis. Send me your address and I'll ship it out to you.I'll throw in a 2-pack of Orvis tapered leaders, too. I'm heading out of town on business for a few days, so I won't be able to ship until next Friday. How's that? That 1094 is a real basic reel, but should fit the bill for what you want it to do.

Ken
    Last edited by ausable_ny; 12-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Good for you Ken. You have a PM.
    Steve

Welcome to fly angling hungNtree. I'm fairly new at the art myself having just completed my third season. Now as for getting new fly line if it's cracked or has other ovious problems Scientific Anglers make a good fly line that can be had for about $25. I've used it myself and have been pleased with it. Just keep it clean and it should last you several seasons. For leaders if you're stapped for cash you can use a straight piece of monofilament somewhere in the 10 - 15 lb test catagory depending on how big the flys are that you want to cast. Or you can build some tapered knotted leaders yourself. I've done so and have been pleased with the results. In the backing catagory I've never had a fish take me into the backing but I still want it for that big one that just might hit. I fish waters where there are plenty of fish large and strong enough to do that. You might be able to find some 20 lb test dacron line that would do the trick or just buy some regular fly line backing. A 100 yd spool from Cabela's will on set you back $6.50.

HungNtree;
    PM your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of Furled leaders. 1 of Uni 6/0 tying thread that you can treat with flotant for dry fly's and 1 of fluorocarbon for swinging Wolly Buggers or Streamers. They will last for a couple of seasons and you will only have to change tippets to match conditions.

Hi hungNtree,

A reel like that should work fine for you as a starter, but you'll want include the backing when ausable_ny sends you the line... if nothing else, it will keep the line from coiling too tightly, which can be somewhat of a nuisance. And just like cycler68 said, the first time a fish took me into my backing, I was glad to have it, because it was a beast!

As for flies, E-mail me your address and I'll send you a good assortment for your area, and tips on how to use them, and where.

I have some extra spools of Orvis 20 lb backing..I'll send one of those, too. Jack, that's a good thing you're doing with those leaders. You make a great product. I'm still using the ones you sent me. Jason, you should be set to go once everthing promised here arrives, but you'll have to catch the fish yourself...we can't do that for you

Ken
    Last edited by ausable_ny; 12-08-2008 at 01:18 AM.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Hang onto that hunderd bucks. You won't need anything like that.

Blog Entries

The generosity of this forum has truly impressed me -- and Jason if you PM me with an address I'll throw in a dozen flies -- let me know what fish species you'll be fishing for primarily and I'll tailor the selection accordingly
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Thumbs up

hungNtree,

I don't have any lines, etc. but my fly boxes are full.... if you PM me with an address, I'll be happy to send you an assortment of flies that will work in ponds.... Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread