hungNtree,

Sounds like you're about to receive some very good flies and gear in the mail. There's some fly tiers in this site whose patterns are so beautiful they should be exhibited in museums.

Your new-at-this situation reminds me of my first attempt at fly fishing.

I also had an 8-ft. 5/6-weight rod. So once you get backing and fresh floating line on your reel, plus a leader attached, you'll be pretty much ready to go.

If you don't object to some unsolicited advice: Try to identify the different feel in your hand during the casting stroke as you throw flies of different weights and shapes. Try to determine which flies are the easiest for you to cast at the distances you normally fish.

In my case, the biggest mistake I made in my first fly fishing attempt was I threw only large, heavy, air-resistant flies. This is because at that time I was focused on catching largemouth bass to the exclusion of all other species. My ambition was larger than my casting skills; during the backcast I was forever whacking my chest or face with those heavy flies. Either that, or I would wait a fraction of a second too long on my backcasts and end up snagging those heavy flies in the vegetation behind me.

There does seem to be an ideal balance point in any fly rod rig, a point where a certain weight/size range of flies works best for the tackle you're using. Using the flies you'll soon be receiving, try to get a feel for what this balance point is for YOU. Once you find it and become comfortable with it, casting becomes much easier, more natural.

After you get your stroke under control on this combination -- whatever it turns out to be -- then it gets easier to cast heavier AND lighter flies. You'll have an instinctive feel for how to adjust your casting stroke to compensate for the weight/size change.

As a general suggestion, try the lighter weight flies first and work up from there. And try for bluegills first; wait until after you're catching bluegills on a regular basis before switching to the heavy, larger flies used for bass fishing.

And DEFINITELY put that backing line on your reel. Large catfish might live in your Uncle's pond, and if you ever hook one it'll take you into your backing quick as a hiccup.

Joe
"Better small than not at all."