+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Land-locked stripers

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Land-locked stripers

I fished the Arkansas River here in Tulsa for a couple of hours this afternoon. Besides the stripers and drum in the photos, I caught 3 largemouth bass and 1 small hybrid, or wiper to you folks to the north of here.
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ansas%20River/
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Jeeze BM,,, looks like you had a grand time of it. Way to go! Nice to see the pictures, thanks.

Steve,

I think a lot of Kansas fishermen who would be shocked to learn that fishing is so good in the Ark, particularly where it runs through a major metro area like Tulsa. In Kansas the Arkansas is a virtually destroyed fishery. Please write a Warm Water story about your activities there, anytime you feel like it. I for one am very curious.

Great trip you had, and nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, here's hoping you NEVER have another ice storm as terrible as the one that hit Tulsa last year. I visited Tulsa shortly after that storm, and from Coffeyville, KS all the way south to Tulsa that whole area looked like it had been the target of a B-52 raid.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Default Land Locked Stripers

Hey Steve!

Good to see you back in the act! I take it flows have finally come down..??

A few of us got down to Sooner and Kaw back in Feb. No stripers caught, and with the precip as high as it was this year, we never made another trip back down.

Pics look good!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Blog Entries

Joe,
    The Arkansas River here can be very good at times. I will talk to Deanna about doing an article.

Ror-Eye,
    Yes, we are finally seeing some low flows here. Keystone lake is down close to normal at last, so we should see fishable conditions more often. I plan to hit the river every weekend possible for some time. Some of the best days that i have had there were in the Winter.
    Steve
    Will Rogers

Question Menu

Steve -

Those are some pretty healthy looking stripers. Just curious what kind of flies you serve up to them ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

John,
    It depends on conditions. Lately the water has been off-colored, so chartreuse has worked best. I was using a 3/0 Zonker type fly with a rattle encased in mylar tubing. When the water clears, I use EP Baitfish flies, Deceivers, Clouser Minnows, and Mighty Minnows in gray/white, olive/white, chartreuse/white or blue/white, usually 2/0-4/0.
    Steve
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

I went back to the Arkansas River this afternoon. I caught this hybrid on the 3rd cast, then fished for 11/2 hours without another strike. Oh well, at least I didn't get skunked!

Steve
    Will Rogers

What can I say, you caught the only one that was there. I just wonder why he didn't take the two other casts.

Nice fish! I need to get a hook up this winter and get a couple strippers on the line. I guess a few a of the lakes around here have them.

+ Reply to Thread