Thread: "Late Beats Never" Joe Hyde Feature, Pattern Report

Threaded View

Default "Late Beats Never" Joe Hyde Feature, Pattern Report

Hi All,

Joe Hyde's feature article included a small streamer that Joe did quite well with on keeper size bluegill.

In a post down the page a bit, the question came up as to what the pattern was. Joe sent the fly to me, and I looked it over carefully so as to be able to give a report. I decided to start a new post rather than add to the bottom of the first report.

The pattern is as follows:

Hook: Mustad 9672, #12
    Thread: 6/0 Unithread Olive
    Bead: 5/64" gold
    Tail: Charcoal Rabbit
    Body: Peacock

When I tie a peacock body fly, I use a twisted rope, if you will, of peacock. This is done by trimming off about 3/4 inch off the tips of 3 to 6 strands of peacock, tying them onto the hook shank, and then using the thread to form a twisted dubbing rope of the peacock. The twisting greatly toughens up the peacock body, which without the thread and twist can be cut by toothy fish.

Unithread olive has a more greenish color than does Danville's olive. The Danville's has more brownish in it's olive and is not nearly as greenish as is the Unithread.

Joe sent the streamer to me, and it came in on perhaps Monday. I looked at it under the room lights, but couldn't tell if the peacock was dyed or not. You don't realize how important natural sunlight is until you try to identify a color with poorer light, and I don't see colors superbly anyway. During work days I don't get home until about dark. So today I took it outside, and the materials were obvious.

Joe, I will be sending the fly back, but will be a few days as I am really tied up for a week or two by my moonlighting job. I teach college organic chemistry at the local JuCo, finals are next week, and I have reports and government required paperwork to finish up.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 12-07-2008 at 03:33 AM.