+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mass Turnpike

Default Mass Turnpike

Since the NYST thread was so popular I will bait some more

The Massachusetts Turnpike was so much better(condition-wise) than the NYST it was night and day difference. HOWEVER they need to do away with that I-84 Exit(west-bound on the turnpike) and build something better. That exit backs up traffic for 20 miles!!! Surely they can come up with something better!!
    Coming into Boston was no problem at all, but getting out was a nightmare! Maybe I should have used 395?
    It doesn't seem to hold you 'hostage' like the New York State Thruway, however.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-04-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Obviously you haven't driven in MA before. Only the tourists use the I-84 Exit, everyone else uses 84n to 20e to 290e to 90e or 84n to 20w to 32n to 90w and vise versa. Having lived across from the service area 2 miles east of I 84 for 30 years, I've seen worse, but then again as most of the local folk say, sure is pretty at dusk to see all them red lights on the pike as they travel at 55+ on 20.
    Last edited by Matt Penttila; 12-05-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo

Oh how I loathe the Mass Turnpike. My oldest attends college in Boston and we drive up from PA and that last section going in to town and just trying to get out of town and into Ct. can be horrible.

If anyone has 'local' directions on how to get to / from Boston on that wonderful 84/90 mess I would appreciate it. Also, any good way to get onto 91 and then onto 15 to avoid 95?

Of course, he's in his Jr. year so (hopefully) only one more year of driving up there.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&re...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Try this way, when you get in around Hamden...grab the 15 south through to the City...you'll be flying along in no time.

Way More Scenic and 95 is the PITS.

Sorry, using Google Maps you'll have to zoom in and when you see 91 and Hamden , click and drag the route over to15...for some reason it won't allow me to post that link...I thought I had...it is pretty easy drive, done it many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Penttila View Post
    Obviously you haven't driven in MA before. Only the tourists use the I-84 Exit, everyone else uses 84n to 20e to 290e to 90e or 84n to 20w to 32n to 90w and vise versa. Having lived across from the service area 2 miles east of I 84 for 30 years, I've seen worse, but then again as most of the local folk say, sure is pretty at dusk to see all them red lights on the pike as they travel at 55+ on 20.

Cool, thanks. Yup that 20 miles of 20mph was quite the pain. The problem was I was using a GPS unit(like an average IDIOT) and didn't check the REAL map to get out of the traffic.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

They're in the process of doing away with the tolls on the Mass Pike
    Most of them anyway
    Soon, the only two that will remain are the one coming into Mass from NY on RT90 and the one at the juction of 84 and 90
    They won't be charging you to leave the state, only to come in.
    As I remember there will also still be some tolls in the Metro area
    They have to pay for the Big Dig somehow
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Cool Calm Down

BBW, you forgot. You supposed to tell them how much better the roads are up there than down here. Next thing you know you won't be able to get in Corky's or the Rendezvous and you will have rusted out 4 wheel drive bumper to bumper from Tunica Cutoff to the White River. Of course, once they see a big cottonmouth down on Tunica Cutoff they may not be making many return trips.

Beside around Boston it's legal to drive on the shoulder, where else can you do that?

nighthawk Guest

+ Reply to Thread