Thread: Short Fly Rods

Threaded View

Default Short Fly Rods

Hi to the group. I've been reading lots of posts on the board the last few months, and read the article about using Forecast E-glass Blanks for Fly Rods, which inspired me to build a couple rods so far. My first wasn't so hot, a 6' 1 pc SPG720 Blank, Full wells grip, black wraps, snake guides, and uplocking reelseat. Nice to cast but lots to be desired in looks, but a good rod to toss in the back of the truck and go off with. My next rod was a 3'4" 5wt, cigar grip, downlocking reelseat, blue wraps and rec single foot guides. Casts beautifully, handles everything from 4wt up to a 7wt with no problem.

Now for my latest dilemma...

My girlfriend's father was over for Thanksgiving breakfast and was admiring my short rod, and commented how he would like something similar to it. So afterwards I was thinking, Gee I can build him one like it. And of course the girlfriend suggested that I build him one for a Christmas Surprise. So I ordered the parts and supplies I would need, but I have a problem.

I built the 3'4" as my special one of a kind rod, and was going to make a couple 5 and 6 foot rods this winter, but now I'm sort of obliged to build a small stream rod for him, which isn't the problem, but the problem is I don't want to make the rod too short but not too long either. I was thinking of a 4' rod for him, would ride very well in his truck behind the seat or on the dashboard, which is where I keep mine most of the time when not fishing.

So what would you recommend for a lenght of rod? I'm using either a Forecast SPG601, SPG720, or SPG721 blank.
    Last edited by Matt Penttila; 12-05-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typos