+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chota Citico vs Simms Freestone Boots

Default Chota Citico vs Simms Freestone Boots

I recently took advantage of online sales, and purchased a pair of Simms L2 Waders. Wading boots are next on the list, and was considering either Chota Citico or possibly Simms Freestone with spikes which both are currently be offered at good prices. I have problems with my feet, and need good arch/heel support as well as being comfortable as possible. What are your opinions on those boots in particular? Thanks.

Ron

The freestone boots are wonderful for support, and pretty darn rugged. I have no experience with the Chotas, but they are a very respectable company. I personally would wait for the new simms soles to come out (not sure if they are in the catalog or not yet) since they really are awesome. I have semi-flat feet and weak ankles (too many sprains) but I havent had a thing to complain about with my freestone boots yet. Check Sierra trading post too for boots. THere are always some good boots on there for real cheap. And the reviews people post will help out a lot in your decision.

I recently bought a pair of the freestones with the studded felt. They're pretty comfortable and have really good ankle support. Quite easy to put on and take off as well. I've never worn a pair of the chotas, but I'm happy to have my freestones.

Hi Ron, I have had 2 pairs of Chota boots over the years and they are the best boots I have ever had they were not however the citico boot. They had a speed lacing system that was great and they were very tough boots. The first pair lasted me 3 years and the last pair are almost brand new but no longer legal in NZ.
    All the best.
    Mike.

My wife and I both wear the Chotas. We've used and abused them for about 4 years now and they're still going strong. Very lightweight, extremely comfortable, and great ankle and arch support.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the Chotas in favor of the new Chotas with the studded, sticky rubber soles. With Didymo being passed from stream system to stream system, the rubber soles would be easier to disinfect than the poly felt soles.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks everyone for the input. There are some really nice deals online for gear, and the L2 waders were purchased for $125. I see the studded Freestones going for as much as $110, and the Citicos for $75. However, some dealers are selling them for as little as $50 and $40. I wear a size 13 which is somewhat difficult to find during these end of season clearance deals or a place like Sierra Trading Post. So it seems from the responses that either one would be a good choice.

Ron

I had the Citicos for about two years and they were great! BUT man what a drag to have snow pile up underneath. If you can do Aquastealth with studs, that's the better gig.

FWIW my Chotas are living out their days somewhere near Auckland, NZ as they were not totally dry from the bleaching I gave them before we arrived in March. As such, NZ Biosecurity said they'd need to be frozen for a week before they could be released. So I didn't put up much of a fight for the old dogs and let them throw 'em away. I wet waded and was pleased to do so.

With didymo not far from my doorstep here, I won't ever use felt soles again.

Marty

I also have problems with my feet after years of beating foot-pedals as a professional drummer. I don't think I would buy boots online for that reason. I want to try them on to ensure they fit ME. I think as long as the manufacturer is reputable that FIT is most important. I want to walk around in them for a while before I pay $. If I were buying online I would want a guaranteed return option. That being said I have Chotas, but I don't recall the model name and they are down in storage (I live in an apt. building) and it's late.
    Last edited by Greg H; 12-04-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Good to hear nice things about another of our sponsors. They are good boots and, the company is driven by a fine chap too, Frank. We have used several of his products for years and each has been top of the line in every way.

+ Reply to Thread