Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and advice about introducing fly fishing to my kids.

I was given a Cabela's gift card for Christmas and decided to spend it a week ago. I found a nice little 8' 4 wt Ross rod. My son Ian (age eight)wondered over after wearing grandpa out looking at the fish tanks and bass lures. I handed him the rod to ask his opinion of it. He asked me if I were getting it, I told him that I thought so. He then asked if we could get two. At that point the sales guy and I both had a smile a mile wide since he knew the rod wasn't for me all along.
Ian asked how the rod could be his promising to work very hard practicing and being very careful with it.

I had the salesmen spool up the reel with 5 wt line to help Ian develop a good feel for the rod loading (as suggested here)

I got out the door with a medium action rod, reel, backing and line for less than 200 bucks and a son that would not let go of the rod tube long enough for the clerk to ring us up.

I was allowed to carry the reel box and a bag full of cloths it took to keep my wife away from the fly shop section long enough to seal the deal.

all in all a pretty darn good day Now if spring will ever get here so we can go chase some gills.

thanks again guys
Briney