This past summer I spent a lot of time fishing a local river, the Scioto. From about mid-summer on the river is easily wadable and this summer we had very low levels. Usually, I was in less than 4 foot deep water. As I was wading along (I'm not tall) huge Carp would swim by me, or I would spook them before I saw them. The water is fairly clear, but I just couldn't see them from my vantage point. I love FFing for Carp, so how do I go about seeing them before they see me?

As I am contemplating my conundrum, I flashed back to a TV show I had seen. There is a lake out west that holds landlocked Rainbows (Kamloops I believe is the species) and has a shallow shelf that extends quite far into the lake. To fish the lake, you want to get to the dropoff and watch for fish cruising that breakline. The guys carried out 6-7' aluminum stepladders and used them like a flats guide would - to spot the cruising fish.

A new definition for the term "fish ladder". I am thinking of wrapping the feet of my ladder with felt for a better hold. Okay, am I crazy? I wonder if it is legal in Ohio Does anyone know? Any suggestions besides therapy? Thanks.