+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Carp - Am I crazy?

Default Thinking Carp - Am I crazy?

This past summer I spent a lot of time fishing a local river, the Scioto. From about mid-summer on the river is easily wadable and this summer we had very low levels. Usually, I was in less than 4 foot deep water. As I was wading along (I'm not tall) huge Carp would swim by me, or I would spook them before I saw them. The water is fairly clear, but I just couldn't see them from my vantage point. I love FFing for Carp, so how do I go about seeing them before they see me?

As I am contemplating my conundrum, I flashed back to a TV show I had seen. There is a lake out west that holds landlocked Rainbows (Kamloops I believe is the species) and has a shallow shelf that extends quite far into the lake. To fish the lake, you want to get to the dropoff and watch for fish cruising that breakline. The guys carried out 6-7' aluminum stepladders and used them like a flats guide would - to spot the cruising fish.

A new definition for the term "fish ladder". I am thinking of wrapping the feet of my ladder with felt for a better hold. Okay, am I crazy? I wonder if it is legal in Ohio Does anyone know? Any suggestions besides therapy? Thanks.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Out on the flats of Monomoy some of the guys use stepladders outfitted with backpack shoulder straps
    Too much trouble in my mind
    I've often thought of carrying a milk crate though
    You could carry it strapped on behind your back with a bungie cord
    Much like you would for a stripping basket
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thinking carp?

Sounds like fun.

Are you 'crazy'?

We really don't have enough data. You ARE a fly fisherman though, which does impact the process a bit....

I don't know if it's 'legal' where you fish, or if you might have moral problems with it, but many carp fishermen will 'chum' the waters with something, usually corn, to attract the fish to the area and get them feeding. Might be easier than toting a ladder....they even make a little slingshot for flinging the chum about....then all you have to do it get the darn things to bite the fly...

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I caught my first 9 fly rod carp this summer! I still daydream about those fights! What a hoot!

Anyway, I'd sure be interested to hear about your carp success this time of year. Do carp continue to bite during the winter months?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wink Getting Jacked Up

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post
    As I am contemplating my conundrum, I flashed back to a TV show I had seen. There is a lake out west that holds landlocked Rainbows (Kamloops I believe is the species) and has a shallow shelf that extends quite far into the lake. To fish the lake, you want to get to the dropoff and watch for fish cruising that breakline. The guys carried out 6-7' aluminum stepladders and used them like a flats guide would - to spot the cruising fish.....
    raw69 -

That would most likely be Pyramid Lake in Nevada and the fish there are Lahontan Cutthroat. Haven't fished it, but have known about it since I was a kid, and have read a number of accounts about how it is fished off a ladder.

I don't think the basic concept that you are pursuing is crazy, but I do wonder how suitable a ladder of any kind would be in moving water ??

The milk carton thing that dudley suggested sounds like a real possilibity - or how about stilts with cleated felt soles ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Lack of shore access sure does us in on the Scioto, I too can never seem to spot the Carp.

No suggestions other than my standby, fish the 'tangy for Carp and the Scioto for Smallies.

Default Thanks

Well at least no one said I was full tilt loony. I like the milk crate idea as a start. If it turns out to be tall enough than I can forget the ladder. Or maybe all I will need is a 3-4 footer.

JohnScott - I thought about the moving water, but mid to late summer, the flow is pretty slow, even when they open the dam. But caution is always good - I can wear my life vest.

Okay, let's picture this - a guy in full waders (or worse, shorts), wearing a PDF, a silly hat, a fly pack, with a fly rod in his hand, standing on a ladder in the middle of a river, staring at the water. On one hand I'm laughing my guts out, but on the other I'm thinking, "Hmmm, good idea."

Buddy - No moral problem, wouldn't it just be like standing on a rock? Plus, you still have to make the right cast - they are skittish buggers.

FishnDave - Carp are the bomb. I don't think they are very active during the cold months.

BR - The Tangy is always great for Carp, but the behemoths I have seen in the Scioto make my knees weak. Although I did get a 31"er in the Tangy.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

BTW, I am carrying my cam full time this year and WILL spot you on you crate and be forwarned, you'll be photographed and posted here.

My favorite target species for close to home action. I prefer trout, but two hours away vs 10 minutes and with the past summer's gas prices, I learned that carp have a lot to offer.

The obvious is to wear poloroid lens glasses. Carp have a "webarian" structure which is unique to them. It allows them to hear better than trout. It is something that works better than just a laterial line for noise. Be quiet and don't talk loudly at all. You can get away with conversational voices for trout, but not carp.

Move slowly and just stand still wearing drab colors. Watch your shadows on the water.

Right now I have been getting the snow blower ready since it is snowing out but I would much prefer to think about carp.

Enjoy some photos from the last season when the water wasn't hard (think ice).

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Carp have a "webarian" structure which is unique to them. It allows them to hear better than trout. It is something that works better than just a laterial line for noise. Be quiet and don't talk loudly at all. You can get away with conversational voices for trout, but not carp.

Move slowly and just stand still wearing drab colors. Watch your shadows on the water. Rick
    Hey Rick, thanks for the advice! I've never heard it put quite this way... I was aware that they were easy to spook, but they can hear me talk? Hmm, I reckon I'll have to stop mumbling to myself too, eh.

BTW, nice pics! Did you eat those guys are let 'em go?

Ciao for now,
    Dave

From sunny 90 degree Phuket, Thailand

+ Reply to Thread