+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with planning first fishing trip to Montana

Default Help with planning first fishing trip to Montana

I am just getting started to plan for my first fly-fishing road trip to Montana for sometime next year. I am wide open as far as where to go and what time of year to visit. All I know for sure at this point is that I can only be there for a week max (drive time from Michigan would be in addition to that). So I thought I would post the question to the group -- If you were headed on your first Montana fly fishing trip, and you wanted to try out a number of streams, just to sort of get a good sampling of what Montana has to offer, where would you go? Day 1 through Day 7?

I would like to go on the cheap for the most part, so I would probably tent most of the time. I also would not have a boat with me, but would probably look to hire a guide at least a couple of days and then go on my own the rest of the time. What does everyone recommend for a good realistic trip and what time of year do you recommend coming?

Go to Missoula, you will love it.

Stay at the C'mon Inn

Go to Kesel's Four Rivers Fly Shop

You will love it.

------------------

After reading allof the recommendations check out the site below it has a great deal of information on Montana, its cities, fishing, guides, camping ETC.
    [url=http://travel.state.mt.us/:3323c]http://travel.state.mt.us/[/url:3323c]

RoyC

WOW! A place in Montana that is not loaded with people and fishermen? That area the last I herd was the fastest growing area in the state along with Bozeman? And I can tell you that the Gallitan is so full of people most of the time that it can be hard to find a place to fish until late evening when all the kayakers and whitwater rafters are off the stream. Or you want to go way up into the park area. I may have to move over to the west slope to get away from all the people if there are that few over there.

Here is a sight that may help you out a little.
    [url=http://www.bigskyfishing.com/:dd255]www.bigskyfishing.com/[/url:dd255]

Good Luck Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 24 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 24 October 2005).]

Hey Ron,come on up.I can still show you a few places that you can fish without tripping over people. the fish might not be trophy class but man they're fun to catch
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

by no means a MT expert. been there once for 3 days - Kallispell and Whitefish. Spent one day on the Flathead and one on the Clark Fork. I found it to be very inexpensive.

I know this is not the sexy part of MT but I really did enjoy it. I'd go back in a heartbeat. In fact I think I could probably live there.

Ron: I know what you mean about the Gallatin, I usually wait until after summer is over to fish it for the reasons you mentioned. Same goes for a few other rivers as well :;. By the way I sent you an email, let me know if you did not recieve it.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

I took my first drift trip on the Kootenai River near Libby this fall with guide Kelly Palmer (you can contact him through Kootenai River Outfitters). I had a great time. Plenty of fish. Very little traffic on the water. Beautiful scenery. At one point on the trip Kelly just sighed and said, "I love my river". And after that experience I agree.

Jim -

Here's a couple other things to keep in mind:

The distances between places in MT can take a day of travel getting from one place to another.

In a normal year, you contend with runoff on many streams until early-mid July, and in dry years (such as the recent past half dozen) you've got to be cognizant of forest fires, and/or low, warm water temperatures in the latter part of the summer through to early fall that can close down the fishing in some places.

Stream access will be more limited on many of the larger rivers (such as the Clark Fork, already recomended) if you do not have a boat. If you decide to fish one of these rivers, you may want to consider hiring a guide.

Here's a couple other ideas:

You'll probably drive by the Big Horn River in SE MT (at Hardin) going and/or returning to MI. A day floating the river with a guide out of Ft. Smith would be fun, and you can tent within a stone's throw of the river at the Cottonwood Campground 3 miles below Ft. Smith.

A couple hours farther west, the Yellowstone River, upstream or down from Livingston is always a good option. Again, if it were me without a boat, I'd consider a guide for my first time on the river. However, Yellowstone's Edge RV Park is one of the best campgrounds in MT and is located right on the bank of the Yellowstone about 20 miles south of town. They have shaded tent sites so close to the river that you could cast to the river from your tent if you wanted, and they have private, easy walking access to over a mile of some of the best fishing in the river from the RV park. (There's also a couple resident fly fisherman who live in the park all summer and fall that might take you fishing for free, including going to some off-the-beaten-path locations (well, maybe if you buy their gas).

The Missouri River near Wolf Creek (just below Holter Dam) and Craig, MT can have excellent summertime fishing, and has easy access, although it can really crowded during mid-summer. There are several places along this stretch of river where you can pitch a tent at minimal cost, or just sleep in your vehicle overnight for free. There are many places here where you can park right beside the river and get out and fish.

There are many other places that you could consider, a lot of which would depend, of course, on the type of places you like to fish - big rivers, small streams, lakes, etc.

John

Great input guys! Thanks!

So if I am processing all the comments so far, should I try to come in the late summer early fall, after labor day? Sounds like most of the rivers are packed during the summer and high and murky during the spring.

Maybe in hindsight, I should reframe the question (might make it more fun). If YOU had seven days to fish in Montana, what would be your favorite time to go and what would be the rivers that you would try to fish (take into consideration drive time)?

+ Reply to Thread