+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Other $$$$$ rods.

Default Other $$$$$ rods.

Are there any very expensive ( $500-$1000) spin ar casting rods out there? I posed this question as about the 100th reply to one on Mantis' topics but the topic post just got old/long. So here anew my question.
    The reason I'm curious is that IF the same materials are used as in flyrods, prices should be parallel, with, of course, some certain/obvious adjustments.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Sure there are Most are 1 piece bass rods. GLX are 350-400 for a 6-7' 1 piece I have a GLX 8'6" drift rod 2 piece retailed for 550.00

Rich

The reason I'm curious is that IF the same materials are used as in flyrods, prices should be parallel, with, of course, some certain/obvious adjustments.

As far as bamboo rods go..they are.

It's not just rods, I recall reading about a very hot spinning reel with a micro-chip which automatically adjusted the drag, by Shamino I think, which retailed at $600.

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 26 October 2005).]

As has been discussed in recent topics, prices are set by the market, not by component cost. Fly fishers tend to be more willing shell it out. Thats why $300 fly reels are common place.

Of course as the others have pointed out, you can always pay as much as you want. But in general, prices for conventional tackel are not parallel to fly tackel.

Marco:

The interesting thing about conventional fresh water tackle is a really high quality graphite spinning or casting rod still is very close to the price of the HMG ultralight rod I dreamed about as a kid when they first came out. Fly rod prices on the other hand have skyrocketed. I do a lot of conventional fishing and none of my graphite rods cost more than $140 and are supposed to be top of the line in their class. AND I get a lifetime warranty too!

I think it has a lot to do with the market. I guess the manufacturers figure fly fishers have more disposable income. I don't think they could get away with $500 spinning rods. I can't say for sure whether the graphite is the same as you'd find in a T & T but a set of Fuji guides I think cost more than a set of snakes so some material costs may be higher.

Reels though have gone nuts. Like LF said; there are fresh water spinning and casting reels that are designed for regular trout or bass fishing that are right up there in price with an Abel. And every year there is a new top of the line reel with an extra ball bearing or two that costs about $100-$200 more than last year's best.

I watched the "best" Shimano spinning reel go from $229 for 2001's "best" to $500 for 2002's "best". Casting reels went from $129 for the best in 2001 to $399 in 2003 and now you can easily spend $500-$600 on one of the reels with a micro chip.

But I can say this: I own one of those $129 casting reels and a $399 casting reel and the difference is huge when it comes to "casting" so maybe it's money well spent. Unfortunately I can't say the same for my fly reels that have this big of a price difference between them but maybe it's not a fair comparison. But I do know I get a lot more "guts" in a $300 casting reel than I do in a $300 fly reel.

In any case as long as I can still buy 250 yards of top quality fluorocarbon fishing line for half the price of 30 meters of fluorocarbon tippet material that is 1/17th the breaking strength; I won't complain too much...

...what's up with that?

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 26 October 2005).]

Intresting comments made here... altough my experance is limitted to a small # of companys and is dated by a few years (I quit reping in 02) At that time the Loomis rod sales were 80/20 (spin/fly) and 40/60 spin/fly in rods that retaled over 300.00 and 70/30 spin/fly if you moved the price to 200.00. some other intresting things was the return rate (spin/fly) tolal was about 3% of rods sold about 15% of rods returned for warrenty were spin/cast and 85% fly out of the 100% about 15% were MFG's fault..... and by the way... the formula for cost to retale is the same for both spin and fly.

Rich

Here are some expensive spin casting rods [url=http://www.house-of-hardy.com/:70a6d]http://www.house-of-hardy.com/[/url:70a6d]

Yes...

Furnace Bay Rods a 6 ft. MLF spinning rod will cost you $200 and a 2 handed surf rod is $745.

And how about reels? Penn Internationals range from $600-$1200. Or the Twin Drag Accurates in Platinum can be $1800.

Makes the EC jetty jocks seem cheap when they pay $600 for a Van Staal spinning reel and then complain constantly about the service!

You aren't going to find these at your local Wally world; but, the market is probably similar the high end fly fishing market.

For some obviously misunderstood reason,I just assumed that spin/cast rods were going to be a LOT cheaper. And THEN I would have asked for the rational of pricing since if the materials used were the same, why the disparity in price. Well now all I can say is thanks all for the input and "never mind".

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread