Thread: Swap Flies?

Threaded View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Swap Flies?

Hey Folks,

I've got a question for the hard-core fly swappers of this group. What do you do with your box of swap flies after you admire it and oh and ah over the contents? I would imagine that some swappers plug then right into their fly box and head for the nearest water. I'm having a hard time doing that. First and foremost, I really like some of the patterns and want to use them for reference models rather than hang them up in some tree. I've purchased 50-75 flies from various fly shops that I regularly bring out to serve as a prototype when I tie that particular pattern. I'm thinking of adding my swap flies to that group. I've been really amazed at the quality, ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into some of these swap creations.
    My second reason for saving my swap flies may sound pretty corny but it's true. Many of these flies have been tied by people I consider to be my long-distance fishing buddies. As a regular participant on FAOL, I've been interacting with some of these tyers for over six years. A lot of the flies, particularly from the long-term, regulars have a sentimental value. I hate to risk them around fly-eating rhododendron bushes.
    OK, so there is my confession. I'm going to hoard my swap flies and keep them in safe in my reference drawer. What do you do with that box of flies after it arrives in the mail? 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 11-30-2008 at 02:26 AM.