+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap Flies?

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Swap Flies?

Hey Folks,

I've got a question for the hard-core fly swappers of this group. What do you do with your box of swap flies after you admire it and oh and ah over the contents? I would imagine that some swappers plug then right into their fly box and head for the nearest water. I'm having a hard time doing that. First and foremost, I really like some of the patterns and want to use them for reference models rather than hang them up in some tree. I've purchased 50-75 flies from various fly shops that I regularly bring out to serve as a prototype when I tie that particular pattern. I'm thinking of adding my swap flies to that group. I've been really amazed at the quality, ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into some of these swap creations.
    My second reason for saving my swap flies may sound pretty corny but it's true. Many of these flies have been tied by people I consider to be my long-distance fishing buddies. As a regular participant on FAOL, I've been interacting with some of these tyers for over six years. A lot of the flies, particularly from the long-term, regulars have a sentimental value. I hate to risk them around fly-eating rhododendron bushes.
    OK, so there is my confession. I'm going to hoard my swap flies and keep them in safe in my reference drawer. What do you do with that box of flies after it arrives in the mail? 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 11-30-2008 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hey Folks,

My second reason for saving my swap flies may sound pretty corny but it's true. Many of these flies have been tied by people I consider to be my long-distance fishing buddies. As a regular participant on FAOL, I've have been interacting with some of these tyers for over six years. A lot of the flies, particularly from the long-term, regulars have a sentimental value. I hate to risk them around fly-eating rhododendron bushes.

8T

I am just like you. I have flies from swaps that I will never fish. Flies from Al Campbell, Donald Nicolson, REE just to name a few. I consider these flies as treasures. When I get one of these flies in a swap, they go in a special drawer in my fly storage cabinet until I can get the properly displayed.

I also fish flies from swaps and if they work on my home waters, I will use them as patterns and tie up a few.

Brad

I like you keep them and do not use them except for patterns. These are to precious to me to use.

Not that I have been in to many swaps I do save all the swap flies and use them as patterns as I try to duplicate them.

I really enjoy just taking them out and looking at them often.
    Remember we all live down stream

well its like this... they go in a frame with the toetags unless i have 2 or more then they go into the flybox... if its a pattern ive never tied before then i keep it till i can tie some like it...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Hi Eight Thumbs,

Just like you I keep them, and for exactly the same reasons. They are used for patterns since it is nice to have a good pattern fly to use for an example when tying a fly I am not familier with.

I also keep them for keepsakes from folks I know, have corresponded with, or know from the fly fishing/fly tying sites.

Regards,

Gandolf

Smile

Some time ago I received a box of JIM HATCH foam flies that I will never use. I show them at fly tying shows and people cant believe that their made on a Dremel.BILL

From my first swap I placed some of the flies in my fly box, but found I could not bring myself to fishing them. Since then I just collect them and admire the work of the talented people I swap with.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Family

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hey Folks,

I've got a question for the hard-core fly swappers of this group. What do you do with your box of swap flies after you admire it and oh and ah over the contents? I would imagine that some swappers plug then right into their fly box and head for the nearest water. I'm having a hard time doing that. First and foremost, I really like some of the patterns and want to use them for reference models rather than hang them up in some tree. I've purchased 50-75 flies from various fly shops that I regularly bring out to serve as a prototype when I tie that particular pattern. I'm thinking of adding my swap flies to that group. I've been really amazed at the quality, ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into some of these swap creations.
    My second reason for saving my swap flies may sound pretty corny but it's true. Many of these flies have been tied by people I consider to be my long-distance fishing buddies. As a regular participant on FAOL, I've have been interacting with some of these tyers for over six years. A lot of the flies, particularly from the long-term, regulars have a sentimental value. I hate to risk them around fly-eating rhododendron bushes.
    OK, so there is my confession. I'm going to hoard my swap flies and keep them in safe in my reference drawer. What do you do with that box of flies after it arrives in the mail? 8T

8T,
    It's all about Family, your a good person 8T and I won't tell anyone that, hate to start a rumor!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

The past 3 years I've been in 31 fly swaps. That is approximately 375 flies. I still have everyone of them. I still bring them out and look at them once in awhile. I have used many of them as patterns. I hate to use the originals. I guess it is a sickness..........one that I'm going to continue with for a little while longer.

+ Reply to Thread