+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Was Your 1st FAOL Contact?

Hybrid View

Default Who Was Your 1st FAOL Contact?

I think it was in 1999 or maybe 2000 that I first registered with FAOL. I had been lurking for a short while and liked the site so much that I made an entry in the "Guest Book." In very short order a fellow named DShock responded and made me feel welcome. We've been long distance fishing buddies ever since. So, who was your first contact? And have you had the chance to fish with them?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I met JC & Deanna on America Online's "Watering Hole". A chat room for fly fishers. They were hosts there. I came here when they started the site.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Parnelli (Steven McGarthwaite) in 1998. I won the May, 1999 contest which was a selection of fly-tying materials (synthetics) which I had no clue at that time what to do with. Took the Beginner lessons here and they disappeared quickly. Now I'm waiting for my new Elkhorn prize to come my way.

I lurked for some time before reading an article that got me a bit upset and decided to join up so I could complain to the publisher. If I remember correctly I ended up exchanging a couple of messages with Ladyfisher and kept my complaints mostly to myself. I have been reading this site regularly on Mondays since then and normally check in once or twice a day.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Al Campbell. I e-mailed him a question about fly tying and got an almost immediate response with a full answer to my question. My first thought was "Here's a guy who loves what he does." He is sorely missed.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

My first contact with Jim & Deanna was at FBN (Fly Fishing Broadcast Network) a "few" years ago where they were participating hosts. When that folded, I lost touch untill a current Chat Room regular Slicfoot -Dave Ulmer told me where Jim & Deanna had moved to. The rest is history.

Mark

I came to FAOL in 2002 through Ronn Lucas. I had seen his Salmon flies featured in an issue of Fly Tyer magazine. I saw those beautiful flies and immediately wanted some of his wonderful work on my Dots. I emailed him and told him about the Dots and what I wanted to do. He agreed to allow me to use his Salmon flies; then he told me about FAOL and suggested I contact Deanna and Jim about becoming a Sponsor. I did and I am about to start my 7th year as a Sponsor. I am tickled pink to say how pleased I am about how things have turned out as a result.

Thanks Ronn, Deanna and Jim!

Jerry
    Last edited by Dot Man; 12-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning,
    That person, he was 'that' Rick Z many years ago, then I say back and consumed this site, then thought, thats not nice to take without giving back something in return, and from there joined.

Thanks Rick.

Kindest regards,
    UB

I was living in Southern California and purchased my retirement home on the banks of the N. Umpqua river in Roseburg, Oregon. I noticed a post with a member who had Winchester, Oregon as his location. It was Montana Moose. Winchester is on the other side of the river from me so I PMed him.He told me that he was in fact on the other side of the river and that when I came up the next time I should let him know. Well, he has been very helpful to a very overwhelmed big river novice. He is always ready to go fishing and he and his wife have become good friends to my wife and I.
    We moved to Roseburg about 16 months ago. George is a Keeper. Here he is fishing the famous Steamboat section of the N. Umpqua

Gary

My profile says I joined 12/31/02. I think I may have switched computers so it might have been earlier, but no matter. Like most I received a welcome from Deanna. But my first contact from a fellow FAOLer was D Micus. Infact, Dave and I along with a few others got kind of rowdy on the Saltwater board. So much so, that JC told me at one point to "not let the door hit me" on the way out. But I am still here and a bit more mellow. Arrrgh!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread