Slowly starting a business I should say. I ordered 25 Black Australorp chickens a few months ago and they arrived the first week of October. I don't know how well chicken farmers do, but I've got to try it. Since the job market leaves a lot to be desired and with the layoffs (I'm one of them) and such happening, I thought this could possibly be the right thing to do.

So far this investment has cost me very little, as compared to what you could spend to start up a different business. I'm hoping to sell eggs, broilers, hackle, or whatever eventually. Right now I'm sticking with eggs until I know I can do it. Actually I can't stick with eggs right now considering that they are only 8 weeks old. With the way people charge for eggs and chicken right now that are free-range or yard birds, I'm almost certain that I can do it cheaper.

I saw a man close to where I live recently sitting out in front of a store, selling chickens. I thought I would stop to take a look. When I first saw the chickens up close, I thought they looked scraggly, sick, and very unhappy. When I asked what he was charging for them, it was 10 bucks for a rooster and 11 bucks for a hen. These weren't rare breeds or show quality either. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Barred Rocks, and some mutts.

Now I know a dressed chicken from a store doesn't cost that much. The Amish communities here charge about 10 bucks for a dressed chicken. What is this guy thinking?

Well, I guess I may be turning into a farmer because I am considering growing vegetables also. Why not? I already have fertilizer machines. You wouldn't think 25 chicks (actually it's 27, they sent some extras) could produce so much fertilizer, but they can.

Hopefully this will work out. I'm almost finished with my computer information systems degree, and I have a funny feeling it won't do me a bit of good.