+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New project

Blog Entries

Default New project

I finally got to the point where I don't need anymore rods for myself. However, I have apparantly just won the spey casting book from JohnScott, so I guess I have a spey rod to build.
    Anyone built any of the Forecast blanks? Or have another line for me to consider building on? I don't know anything about spey, so can't make too many assumptions or decisions yet.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

We have known the boys at Batsons for years; quality gents all the way. Just call and ask questions if need be.

I just bought a switch rod kit and recieved it last friday. I am finishing it up - a 10ft 8 wt switch rod -- two handed or single handed options -- on a modified kit that I bought from Dan Craft. I'm sure Batson blanks are just fine also. Batson doesn't sell direct so you have to go through a retail outlet. If there is one close by where you live, I would suggest looking at several different blanks. I originally stumbled on Dan Craft one saturday morning while trying to purchase a Batson blank -- after talking to Dan, it decided to try one of his blanks and have now built 4 or 5 rods from him.

Check out the Dan Craft web site as he has lots of different blanks to choose from -- and take the opportunity to call him and pick his brain. He can be very helpful in terms of choosing components, etc. Anglers Workshop is another possible source.

Blog Entries

I've used both Batson and Dan's rods quite a bit--in fact, they are my favorite 2 lines of rods. I just hadn't heard how the Forecast spey blanks were. I know the Forecast blanks are OK, and have built them for many of my family and friends. My bad there, I didn't specify the Forecast spey blanks specifically.

I agree Dan is a great guy. He got me hooked up with my 6 wt FTL, and I love it. It is a terrific rod and I will listen to his opinions, for sure.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

One of my buddies spent a day salmon fishing with me. He was using a single hander, me with a 14 foot two handed rod. After noticing that my fly was in the water a lot more than his he built a Forecast Spey rod. Very pretty rod when he finished it and it cast very nicely, throwing heavy sinking lines quite well and quite far. If I was a rod builder, I'd build one for myself.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

That's the feedback I was hoping for. I'm not sure what weight rod I'm going to build, but I think the Forecast spey is the one I'm going to start with.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

+ Reply to Thread