+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic flies

Default Magnetic hooks

All kidding aside, most of my hooks come packaged with a strip magnet in the zip bag. I use a magnetic dish on my tying station to keep hooks and other small pieces of metal from getting lost. If metal lays on a magnet long enough it becomes magnetized by 'osmosis'. That's my word for it. An educated person probably knows the real word. Check the package your hooks came in. You might find a magnet. I also use those strip magnets that are glued to the labels with the hook size in my hook/parts compartment box to keep them seperated and easy to pick out according to size and shape. Just my penny's worth. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

does it really matter if the hook is magnetic???? just pull it apart from the the other hooks and tie it up, tie it on and cast that mug out and catch something with it. does a fish know its magnetic? for all we know maybe it will pull the fishes mouth to it?
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

I believe there was a thread about magnitised hooks a while ago... However I will just say what I did then. Many fish hunt using electromagnetic fields so magnetic hooks may work in your favor. Unless they are stainless steel all hooks are slightly magnetic anyways because they are a ferrius metal. So in the grand scheme of thing I don't think it really matters.

nighthawk Guest

The terminology for the reduction of a magnetic field is "degaussing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

We had an AH-1S MOD Cobra struck by lightning one time. Magnetized the airframe and various components. Try as we might we couldn't degauss the aircraft well enough to keep it serviceable. It became a static display somewhere. As was mentioned before degaussing hooks should not be necessary. It is your preference.

And before anyone asks when I say cobra I am referring to this big, bad Snake:

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/ahgal08/ah1s-003.html

"S" is for SNAKE! Don't run, you will only die tired!
    Last edited by nighthawk; 11-27-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Default Memory

I think I will always remember the distinctive outline of the Cobra as well as the Thump, Thump, Thunp of a Huey as well as my Service number.
    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread