+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing Strategies For Sinners

Blog Entries

Default Fly Fishing Strategies For Sinners

What is the best knot for tying on a knotless connector?

A couple of good knot-less knots that come to mind are the Have knot and the Is knot.
    Probably the very best for this application would be the Do knot
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Are you talking about the No-knot Fast-snap connecters mentioned in this post?:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24675

When I posted in that thread I assumed they were talking about the ones Cabelas sells and I thought Mustad makes them, but I couldn't find one on their web site. They are basically a piece of hook wire bent in a closed "U" shape with a closed eye. You tie them on with the advantage being you can change flies/lures without having to retie a knot. You just snap the fly into the connector. I use them for most of my fishing, fly and spin and I really like them. I use an improved clinch knot to connect them to my tippet. You could use a palomar knot or whatever knot you presently use for tying your flies on. I guess you wouldn't have to or want to use the knot-the name escapes me- that is a fixed loop knot that allows the fly/lure to have a free swinging action because the no-knot fast snap gives you that (sometimes) desired feature.
    Tom.

As mentioned in the Strategies for Sinners article, I use an improved clinch or a pitzen to attach the Fas-snap to the line.

A fly can move freely on the Fas-snap (assuming you use the correct size Fas-snap) so a loop knot to attach it is pretty much redundant.

NOTE: You will probably need to use forceps or needle nose pliers to put on and take off flies. Flies won't come off of a Fas-snap, sometimes even when you want them to. When you balance it out, that's probably a good thing.

+ Reply to Thread