+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to Justify a $ 600 rod purchase?

Default Ideas to Justify a $ 600 rod purchase?

There are so many things that need done around the house and to my vehicle that $600 would fulfill.
    How do i justify buying a premium rod for that amount? Does anyone else have the same problem as me?
    Ideas and suggestions please

Do half of the projects and buy a $300.00 rod!!!

Norm

There a many good, fishable rods out there in the $300 range....buy two of those. You could also cover a wide range of fishing situations if you bought 6 $100 rods.
    I don't know why folks are so hung up on top of the line fly rods, it makes more sence to me to cover a variety of situations with more rods.

Oh...sell your house and your car.

Consider buying a used/discontinued rod or perhaps build your own rod. Either one of these options should save you at least $300 off of your $600 price tag.

Jim Smith

Have you checked the used market? I have high end taste on a low end budget. Most of my high end rods were bought second hand. Amazing how many folks can afford to buy high end rods...and then never use them. Their loss is my gain!

Workmanship and attention to details is the main reason i buy highend rods.Lately T&T is
    my brand.You can find like new rods or new
    never fished rods out there that were bought
    on a whim and never fished at deep discounts!

Life is short...Indulge yourself!

Scr*w justification.

How about "I want it!!"

SAVE ... SAVE ... SAVE.Or get lucky win a rod like some of us .Or the lottery .I am building a 1 wt on a Sage TXL blank this winter ... will cost $300.00 instead of the $595.00 SRP on a factory built rod .I keep a jar on the dresser and i put my money in it instead of the morning latte or pack of smokes ...Easey thing to do when ya take a thermouse from home and give up the ciggs.Kicked the habit in 96 myself.Eat out a few lesss times a month and watch the jar fill.I however dont condone saving money by skimping on toilet paper and trashbags.Buying cheap is a finger away from diassaster.Ya dont save money when ya have to double up the trash bag.

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

What makes you think you need a $600 rod? One of the sponsors of this site, Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO), produce some of the nicest rods on the market today for $90 to $225. The only difference between a TFO rod and a (insert brand name here) $600 rod is that you can't brag about owning a $600 rod to your buddies.

As a part time guide I see a lot of different people with those high priced rods who think I should be impressed because they own a (insert brand name here), and that automatically makes them a better fly fishermen. The truth is they couldn't tell the difference if you put a blindfold on them and asked them to identify their rod from any other rod, and until they're willing to spend some time and money developing their casting skills they will never be able to justify a $600 rod.

That $600 rod won't:
    1. Automatically make you a better caster.
    2. Catch more fish.
    3. Make you look like Brad Pitt

Buy a TFO, spend $100 and get some professional casting instruction, and use the other $300 to pay for a fishing trip.

------------------
    Dan S
    The poster formerly known as Outrider
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

+ Reply to Thread