+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you tell the difference?

Default Can you tell the difference?

Picking up on Grizz's reply to Saflyfish Q about whether to buy a $600 rod I think a statement Grizz made deserves it's own post.

He said that if he blindfolded you and gave you both an inexpensive rod like a TF rod (the example he used as they advertise on here} and a "Big Brand Name" rod.. you could not tell the difference.

It might be a good thing to try at a fish in. Have 3 to 5 rods same wt and reel all strung up... blind fold people and hand them a rod to cast...Vary the order of rods tested from caster to caster and simply ask which felt best and which cast the poorest.

Now I know that much is in the ability of the caster and we have probably all seen Lefty put out a long line on his knees with just the rod tip...maybe even seen someone use no rod at all to cast a line
    but we are talking the average Joe here.

I know , with out being blindfolded I can feel the difference in my own rods but that could mainly be because of their stiffness and action. My Winston has a soft action , Orvis a bit stiffer, a Scott quite stiff ,my inexpensive Native rod is very stiff while an old self built Lamiglas is a bit on the soft side. My bamboo rods have a much different feel so perhaps this "Test" should be limited to one or the other materials.

Whats your opinion? First, do you think you can tell the difference and would you submit to the "Test". Thanks for the idea for this post Grizz.

mantis,

I believe I posted something very similar to your comment about a year ago. Come this May, remind me to try and orchestrate something like this at the Fish-In.

Allan

Hey Mantis,

I recall some years ago one of the
    magazines did such a test with folks that
    were apparantly average or better casters.
    A number of rods had the names taped over.
    I understand that the Cabelas Stowaway 5 pc
    model which I believe was under $50 at the
    time was the real sleeper in the test which
    included top end rods as well. I believe
    you make a valid point. Warm regards, Jim

Mantis, the premise of your post is a good one.
    I have never tried to cast blindfolded but observing a conversation in the chat room one night Ray and another person were discussing casting at night and blindfolded. I can understand how not being able to see your aerialized line would make it difficult to control tailing loops and other nasty stuff that happens to a cast.
    The only way for this experiment to work is no one knows the relative value (price tag) of the rods involved.
    If it were possible to hide the identity of rods I have some cheapies I would offer for the test just to see the faces of folks when they find out they mistake a $50 Cabela's Three Forks for an expencive rod.

Gentlemen;
    My take on the results of such a "blind test" is: It would have absolutely NO effect on those who will continue to buy high end rods regardless of the results.I just can't imagine that if a "cheap" rod was chosen as better, that the tester say " man, I was really stupid to buying that TOMORVSAG XPDR 890 for $600. It would ,however, serve as fodder for those who steadfastly maintain that there is little difference and the fish don't really care.
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Alan; I'll remind you...I think it would be fun!

Jim; I think just taping over the name might not be enough as there are 'colors' associated with various rods...Green, Blue, a Mahogany Brown, a Charcoalish.
    ...... Same distance too. Probably same rod length as close as possible and def. the same weight. If you have too many rods it might be tough to remember as some would cast very similar. Have the tester pull out the same amount of line so you don't have to pull it off the reel...I think it would bea blast!... Oh!..and we ought to get it on tape! LOL!

I think often rod selection is a matter of personal taste and not really good vs bad. The technology has gotten so good, even the less expensive rods has lowered the gap. I have a rod I paid $60 dollars for with a slow action, that sometimes, I'm just in the mood for. I have rods that run from $60 to $700 and I fish with a $220 6 weight more often than not. Other times a $400 3 wt will be the rod of choice. You should really try to find what you like. For the pleasure you get from a fly rod, $600 is a good deal, if you really like it.

------------------
    - rriver

Jim, the fly fish america test you referred to was for pack rods. there were two winners--a $700 plus T&T and the $89 cabella's stow away! i bought two of them (no, not the t&t!!)

ffa really does a great job at product comparison.

Some people find little difference between $60 and $600. I don't think people should spend so much time on this issue. Get what you like and can afford without grief.

There is an "Old Family Saying"....

"NEEDS", "WANTS", and "GETS"; are 3 different subjects!

Just as they use to call a "BUICK", a "Poor Man's Cadillac!"

You may like eating a Porterhouse Steak, but if the choice is Porterhouse or paying the mortgage, you end up eating flank steak.

+ Reply to Thread