+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyrodding vs. spin/baitcasters

Hybrid View

Default Flyrodding vs. spin/baitcasters

Hi all;

Since converting to flyrod only, I've experienced no appreciable difference in my catch rate versus other casting methods. If anything my catch rate has gone up. I'm going to qualify this statement by the fact that I fish shallow warmwater ponds, mostly at dusk during the summer. In many instances I'm catching more fish than the spin/baitcasters that are fishing at the same time.

I've always heard that the spin/baitcasters have a distinct advantage in catch rate but I think that is based on deeper water fishing.

I feel in shallow water summer conditions fro warmwater fish, flyfishing is equal or better than spin/bait fishing.

What have others experienced??

Wayneb

I often fish with a hardware slinging friend in small weedy ponds
    We each fish out of our own canoes, so there's really no competition for who gets to cast where
    In nearly 20 years of fishing together we've found that I usually catch more bass on the fly rod while he often catches the largest.
    It doesn't always work out that way, but it does often enough to notice
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

When I'm fishing with dries, I usually catch fewer fish than when I use nymphs or other wets. I often use a dry/dropper rig, and usually it's the dropper that gets the action. I also often see the baitfishers, particularly the worm and nightcrawler boys catching more fish than I am. Also, I've noticed that they are usually catching recently planted fish, or at least they are the size to think so, you know, the cookie cutter catchable size trout they often dump in there in huge numbers.
    When I fish small lakes and ponds for bass/crappie/bluegill, I often get lots more action than the bait boys. Hereabouts, the bait fishermen use powerbait much of the time, and in the bass and crappie ponds I do much better with nymphs and jigs. That powerbait is such a mess, I can't imagine using it and gettin' that gunk all over myself. I'm pretty new at flyfishing stillwater, and am still learning, but I've had some rock 'em sock 'em mornings and evenings for crappie and bass the last two summers. Usually if there's baitfishermen nearby, they'll ask me what's up, and I fix 'em up with a casting bubble and a tapered leader, and get 'em started fishin' with flies, even if they don't have a fly rod. I always give them a handful of the flies or jigs that I'm using, or close to it. I always carry a couple a them little teardrop bubbles and some tapered leaders just for that reason. I've seen a couple of them back to the same place later with brand-new fly outfits....ModocDan

I used to think there was too much wasted time in casting a fly, which would impair my catch rate when compared with spinning gear. I still incorporate spinning gear for certain fishing situations, but for the past 2 years over 50% of my fishing trips are with fly-fishing gear only. My catch rates have gone up considerably!

Like you, much of my fly-fishing is done on public ponds for bass, bluegills, crappies, and the occasional catfish. I usually target bluegills, and the bass are "bycatch". When I target bass specifically, its with topwater flies. If there's bigger bass in deeper water, they have (so far) been fairly safe from me. I might go after them more next year with some deeper presentations.

For bluegills, smaller bass, and crappies, a slow presentation and/or a slow descent of the (non-topwater) fly, or tossing lightweight topwaters are extremely productive methods, and this is much more easily accomplished with fly gear, in my opinion.

Somewhat of a similar approach might be possible with spinning gear and a bobber, but its much much more fun to have the more direct connection between me, the fly, and the fish. (A bobber puts a bigger angle in your line between you and the lure.)

Just my opinion, of course, but my observations are right in line with yours!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wayne, I wholeheartly agree. Spring time and summertime warmwater pond fishing the long rod gets the nod. This past late spring/early summer I was pulling one Crappie and 'gill after another with the fly rod out of a spot right across from some guys who were not fly fishing. However, I have recently gotten to the point in certain situations where I know I can catch fish on the fly rod, but it's a heck of alot easier to fish with a spinning rod. To me easier to fish means I can fish more effectively which equals catching fish. I'm talking fast, moderately deep to deep water with fish holding close to the bottom. As much as I love to fish, especially fly fishing, (I can be happy getting skunked, it's always a learning experience) I do enjoy it more when I catch fish. So I've come to the realization that I have to use the right tool for the job at hand. I have been having a ball using my UL or light St. Croix spinning rods and an older fiberglass Browning Silaflex medium action spinning rod this fall. This might not be true for everyone, but it's what's working for me right now.
    Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Since converting to flyrod only, I've experienced no appreciable difference in my catch rate versus other casting methods.

In many cases (and I'm not saying this applies to you), this is due to the person not being very good with "other casting methods". So when they switch to the fly rod, they do about the same or maybe even better.

I'll say it again, though -- I'm not saying this is true in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    In many instances I'm catching more fish than the spin/baitcasters that are fishing at the same time.

This could be because the spin/baitcasters are just not very good at it.

Every method has its day; however, it's not the tackle that determines success, it's the fisherman. A good spin fisherman could outfish a poor fly fisherman and vice versa. Knowledge and experience trumps tackle.

I think the reason your "catch" ratio has gone up is because the fly/lure you are using stays in the strike zone longer plus it is being moved around by any current and looks more natural to the fish. When using a spin/casting rod, you cast the hardware out there and immediately crank it back and the only fish you will be catching are the aggressive fish who will be striking as a reflex action. This will only hold true with fishing artificial baits and not live baits since live bait will usually be fished under a bobber or on the bottom which will allow it to be in the zone longer than a crankbait/spinner would be. A fly rod allows the bait/fly to flow naturally in the water and look more like something to "eat".

My opinions only....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have always out fished our non-fly fishing friends until I moved to Arizona and hit Canyon Lake.

Now there I was in my boat - depth finder showed 180 feet deep. The fish at 125 feet and me there with my floating line!!!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I am coming at this in another direction.
    First of, what if you put a fly on a spinning outfit....aren't you now FLY FISHING, just like when you stick a worm on, you are BAIT FISHING (which can be done on a fly rod and reel.
    I think the definition of FLY FISHING is what is on the end of the line, not the gear, but that is just me.
    Plus, what is the definition of a FLY. Some say DRIES WITH WINGS, hense "FLY"
    Others think the life cycle such a pupa, nymph, emerger, dry.
    ALLOT don't think eggs, San Juan worms, woolly buggers, sculpin, etc. should be called a fly but rather a LURE which they are (and that is what the English refer to them as)

Anyway, MYSELF, I do use a fly rod, reel, LINES (meaning floating and sinking) and HAND TIED FLIES (which to me anything out of synthetics,hair, wings is a fly)
    I made a commitment many years ago, that this was my ONLY choice. Kept my interest because now I had to learn "ENTOMOLOGY" and experiment with flies.

I have been fishing ponds where a friend uses a spinning outfit, with a bubble and a fly and he definitely out fished me with my floating line.

But, I find I am able to fish more ZONES with accuracy than other types of fishing. You are able to get to where the fish are and stay there, specially sub surface.

I am strictly ff, but I do believe I catch more fish, I very SELDOM walk away with the skunk smell and I have caught some of the BIGGEST fish, because I have a bigger choice of LURES and can get to the ZONE.

Long winded I know, sorry.

WayneB. For the conditions you described (shallow water water species in the summer) I believe the fly guy has an advantaage for a couple of reasons. (1) The bait stays in the strike zone longer and (2) You can make a lot faster retrieve and return to the strike zone with a fly rod than a spinning rod.

I believe the faster retrieve is the main advantage.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread