Wayne, I wholeheartly agree. Spring time and summertime warmwater pond fishing the long rod gets the nod. This past late spring/early summer I was pulling one Crappie and 'gill after another with the fly rod out of a spot right across from some guys who were not fly fishing. However, I have recently gotten to the point in certain situations where I know I can catch fish on the fly rod, but it's a heck of alot easier to fish with a spinning rod. To me easier to fish means I can fish more effectively which equals catching fish. I'm talking fast, moderately deep to deep water with fish holding close to the bottom. As much as I love to fish, especially fly fishing, (I can be happy getting skunked, it's always a learning experience) I do enjoy it more when I catch fish. So I've come to the realization that I have to use the right tool for the job at hand. I have been having a ball using my UL or light St. Croix spinning rods and an older fiberglass Browning Silaflex medium action spinning rod this fall. This might not be true for everyone, but it's what's working for me right now.
Tom.