Farmer John, this is an interesting topic you bring up. I have a different, yet very similar problem.

I too am from Pa, have read/practiced "Trout Tactics"(if you trout fish, this is as close to a timeless classic as you'll find) and likewise had Joe's class at PSU. I'm fortunate on all accounts. And I catch my share of spotted critters. It works well.

A few years ago, I wanted to broaden my horizons in the ff'n world. Warmwater surrounds me in SW Pa, more so than quality trout water. I decided to start warmwater fly fishing again.

Like you, I feel without a clue on the subject. I do horribly on the lakes and big slow rivers. I've got a very good smallmouth stream and river nearby and can manage enough fish to stay entertained but man I work for them. I too have realized...this is COMPLETELY different than what I'm used to and I'm NOT terribly good at it.

What makes it especially ironic is that I learned to use a flyrod as a kid on bluegill ponds, smallie streams etc. I was good at it then but I've spent the last 30 years chasing other pesuirts and it isn't coming back all that easily.