I fish for lakers with my fly rod on a few mountain lakes in Wyoming. The lakes I fish are small (10-18 acres and about 30 feet deep at max), so I can use a float tube. My preferred approach is a 6 wt with a full sink line. I usually use use Clousers, buggers, heavily weighted double bunnies and squirrel streamers (all in size 6-. I cast out and let the fly sink for 20-40 seconds depending on depth of water and then strip it back in at various speeds. Pretty much any type of streamer should work. Most of the lakers I catch are little guys (12-18 inches) but there are some bigger ones in the lakes (30 inches or so). Since there are also splake and brookies in the lakes, I usually have plenty of action (these fish run 6-16 inches). I didnt get any big lakers this year but I will definitely try it again next year

On bigger waters I would suggest an 8 wt. and a boat. Fishing much deeper than 30 feet is not exactly my idea of fun while waiting for the fly to get deep enough, but it is possible. About the only time the lakers are shallow is right at ice out and around spawning.

Hope this is helpful to you.