"Researchers in the Department of Biology at the University of Akron, Ohio, tested the cold acclimation of closely related species of the sunfish family. They acclimated largemouth bass, green sunfish, bluegill, black crappie and white crappie to temperatures of 77 degrees F and 41 degress F and tested for indicators of cold-acclimation respoonse, including enzyme activity(heart, muscle, and liver) and swimming activity.
To compensate for increased blood viscosity, black crappie and white crappie had large increases in heart size at 41 degrees F, while other species had little gain.
Temperature also affected swimming behavior. All species except crappie showed dramatic decrease in routine swimming at 41 degrees F. Crappies are among the first to bite in spring, perhaps because they maintain higher acitvity in the cold. This presumably also makes them generally more active and catchable during the winter."

Rob Neumann Dec 2008 "In-Fisherman"

Rick

PS I have limited computer access and with my variable work schedule I will not have quotes on every day.