+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Ornament

Hybrid View

Default Christmas Ornament

The holidays are coming. Does anyone know where I might find directions for creating a christmas ornament with a "fly" inside? (Sort of like a ship in a bottle) Any suggestions as to what type of fly would look best in the ornament? Thanks.

Obviously you need a clear Ornament. Take off the top, attach your fly(s) with mono and put the top back on. Here is another idea: http://www.bestcrystal.com/uploads/i...a2732591c5.jpg
    suebea, Welcome to the FAOL BB!
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 11-04-2008 at 02:22 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

suebea;
    In the fly tying Archives you will find HRH Betty Hiner's "Hummingbird" in a clear globe. They can be tied on any size hook that will fit through the neck of the globe. Last quarter of 2006 I believe.

Welcome aboard to the best flyfishing site on the net. Sure hope you make better coffee than the other newbees!! They do a good job of chopping wood and keeping the fire going but thier coffee sucks!!

P.S. Watch out for the NBOF. We may lead you astray with our Lies and Boasting!! But we are all good guy's at heart.

Default Where to buy and how to...

suebea,

I buy my clear plastic ornaments at the local "Michael's" craft store. Get them in about 4-5 sizes and shapes. After tying the fly I wrap a piece of ribbing wire (usually green or red for Christmas gifts) around the middle of the fly then run it up through the metal hanger and wrap it around the top of the hanger. I also put "sparkles" or some kind of colored beads. sand or whatever inside the bulb for some of the ornaments. Also got some green, red and clear small stick ons for the outside of the ornaments. They look like faceted cut stones. Other "stuff" available for adding to the ornaments as you taste decides.

If you want a standard fly I'd suggest a royal coachman. The peacock and red floss look very "Christmassy." You might want to get about the biggest hook you can fit through the opening in the ornament, though. Otherwise the fly will be look awfully small. (Tie some Mary Orvis Marbury bass flies with the rest of the hooks in the box.) Last year I did a snowman, spinning white deer hair and then clipping it into the the three "snowballs" making the snowman, and spinning black deer hair for his hat. Dots from a black sharpie for buttons, eyes and mouth, an orange deer hair for his carrot nose and red yarn for his scarf. Tied on a Mustad 94720 #4 and just pushed through the opening in a 3" clear glass ornament from Michael's, suspended by some tippet material.

I made xmas tree ornaments last year. The attached file shows an image.

I purchased the clear glass globes from Micheals Arts and Crafts. They had many shapes and sizes avalable for do-it-yourself folks. I found some with a flattened sphere shape, about 3" dia. and approx. 1" thick.

There is a removable metal cap which covers the neck of the globe. The flies must compressed to pass thru the 1/2" dia. neck opening. I used heavy mono (20 lbs) tied to the hook eye, then hot glued to the interior of the neck. The metal cap hides the hot glue. I added a red ribbon and a 1/4" wide X 8" strip of paper with the name of the fly and the year and the name of the tyer. The paper strip is slipped inside the globe to fit around the circumfrence of the globe interior, writting on the paper is legible from the outside (not visible in this picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kengore; 11-04-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Default Deer Hair Christmas Ornament

Here is an ornament I came up with last year. I am planning on publishing the recipe in a magazine. It is a simple deer spun deer hair ornament with a neat hair cut.
    I am trying to put a set of holiday ornaments together as I have time.

iaflyfisher
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by iaflyfisher View Post
    Here is an ornament I came up with last year. I am planning on publishing the recipe in a magazine. It is a simple deer spun deer hair ornament with a neat hair cut.
    I am trying to put a set of holiday ornaments together as I have time.

iaflyfisher
    I like that! Please let use know what magazine you publish that with.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Wow, what great ideas everyone! They're all wonderful. Thanks so much sharing. Think I'll start with the Hummingbird. Found a couple of other good ideas in the archives as well. Of course iaflyfisher's tree is really neat. As my deer hair spinning experience has been very limited so far, I'll have to practice before attempting this fly. Please let us know when/where you publish the recipe. Thanks for making a "newbie" feel welcome.

10. Default

The 'Royal Coachman' (golden tippet tail) and 'Royal Wulff' seem to have the colors of Christmas. You might want to use a large size low water salmon or 2xl dry fly hook. Just make sure the bend fits into the neck of the ornament bulb prior to tying the fly

Dub

+ Reply to Thread