All great advice here, as always. Take a class or two to get down the fundamentals, this will give you a foundation on which to build. I was where you are 15 years ago and I have the confidence and I believe skill, to tackle any pattern out there save for Atlantic Salmon Patterns and those ultra-realistic fly's. I use my flies to fish so therefore that is what I tie, fishing flies, there are few things on earth that will put a grin on your face quicker than when you hook that picky trout, bass, redfish, whatever with a fly that you tied. It will more than likely become an obsession with you as it does for most of us, but try to limit your materials buying to what your goals and expectations are currently. It is easy to just start stockpiling materials without really knowing what it is your buying. Gaining an eye for quality hackle and fur and the like will come as you progress, you will see what works best and what is fit for the trash can. I wish you luck and welcome you to a wonderfull hobby that will always allow you to express your creativity.

JA