+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jack Gartside could use some prayers and encouragement.

Hybrid View

Default Jack Gartside could use some prayers and encouragement.

I received this tonight. I thought I should share it.

From his Blog: http://www.jackgartside.com/wordpress/

Then an update Via his newsletter:
    Jack Gartside's Flyfishing Newsletter for November 2008

Hello Jack Gartside E-Listers. This month's newsletter comes not from Jack but from webmaster Mike (at Jack's request).

This has been a tough month. As some of you may have heard from other sources, Jack was recently diagnosed with cancer. He's just completed an initial round of radiation and chemotherapy at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Boston. He's at home now, resting and building up his strength. The first round of treatment went very well and the doctors described his response to it as miraculous (yup, that's the actual word they used). Throughout this Jack has been in amazing spirits, laughing, joking, and clowning as always. Just as amazing has been the outpouring of support from hundreds of friends well-wishers: calls, cards, letters and emails from all over the world. Incidentally, if you'd like to send Jack a card or email yourself, please do. He'd love to hear from you (just don't expect a response right away).

So, with Jack sick, should I place an order?

Absolutely! It's probably the nicest thing you can do for Jack (and yourself too!). Cancer or no cancer, the bills keep coming, the rent is still due on the first of the month, and the groceries need buying. Dave Skok and I and other of Jack's friends are helping him fill orders from items he has in stock--and there's a lot in stock! (Particulars on this below.) If he doesn't have exactly what you want but has something close, we'll work with you to see if there's an acceptable substitution (have already done this with a few folks and it's working well). He has books, prints, and thousands of flies and many fly selections on hand. And although he not tying right now, he hopes to be within a few weeks. He does, of course, ask your patience through this rough patch. If there's going to be a significant delay in your order we'll contact you as soon as possible to explore the options.
    If you feel like getting some stocking stuffers for your fly fishing buddies... just go to Jacks site. He's got lots of cool stuff. (Pssst...those black Gurlers are killer trophy brown trout night flies.) It will help him out at the same time. Otherwise a card, letter or email will help boost a spirit. http://www.jackgartside.com/
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Thanks for the thread. I have met Jack; 'real class act'.

Jack was a guest speaker and tier at our club several years ago. Funny guy and really down to earth.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread