Thread: FF with a chilly twist

Threaded View

Perch, I understand what you are saying. I did try the same thing and the fact was I was catching little or nothing with fly only. And this is up in Lake Simcoe Ontario, a lake that is teeming with willing to bite Yellow Perch. I still use flies I've tied, but willl tip them with a minnow or a Power Grub. The flies I've had the most luck with are small (10-12) beadchain eye clousers, red, white and chartruese and the most excellent Crappie Candy. The "Hot fly" of Lake Simcoe is called a "Simcoe Bug". I will post a picture when I can. The fly is heavy, which eliminates having to use split shot (which the perch will sometimes bite!). A heavy fly gets you down quick, which you need to do when a school is underneath and the bite is on. Also this fly is effective without being tipped with any sort of bait.
    Here's the recipe:
    1. Use a size 6-8 standard baitholder hook. You can use a more expensive nymph hook, but it ain't necessary. Plus for this fly you need something with a wide hook gape.
    2. Wrap a pinch-on sinker around the hook shank. Not a split shot, but the long thin sinkers with "wings" that wrap around your line. One of these:
    3. Build up a red thread wrap from the bend to where the sinker stops tapering.
    4. Wrap chartruse material around the body (can be thread, floss, chenille or yarn).
    5. Wrap a red thread head around the front taper of the sinker to just behind the eye.
    6. Apply several coats of head cement (or Sally Hanson Hard As Nails, or whatever you prefer).
    Not sure what this fly represents, but it's effective, easy to tie and very durable. Fish it with sharp raises, slow fall, slow raise, slow fall, you know vary your presentation till you figure out how they like it.
    Hopes this helps, Tom.
    Last edited by Scooter; 11-19-2008 at 03:55 PM.