+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice re square stern canoe?

Hybrid View

Default Advice re square stern canoe?

I want to get a square stern canoe suitable for just myself and my small dog (35 lbs.) and power it with a small outboard (3 hp or less) or an electric trolling motor.

I will carry it on my pickup (8 ft. bed).

Anyone have a sugggestion for what to purchase or NOT purchase?

As a young guy, my wife and I fished out of a Colman Scanoe. I remember it as extremely stable for a canoe and while I don't recomend it for everyone, I use to stand up in that thing and cast. I had a 5 hp Mercury on that and it use to fly. These days I own a Lund but most of the time that I am in the water I use my waders. I still miss that old boat that I sold, I had a lot of fun in it. Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm sure that there are more technically advanced choices available these days.

Rick

HCR,

Everyone's needs vary so I will not make any suggestions, but, here is a good web site that may help you in your search. I purchased a MichiCraft alum. canoe in 13' from them many years ago and was satisfied with their service. They have a square stern 12' canoe that you may or may not be interested in. It is just a good site to explore what is out there.

www.castlecraft.com

Good luck with whatever you purchase
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have a square stern sportspal canoe 14ft. It is quite stable on the water. I have not put a motor on it yet but it is not bad paddling. I carry it in my pickup but I added a bed extender from Cabelas as my bed is the short 6.5 ft. It works!! Good luck

You don't state what king of water you are fishing, which will affect boat choice.

If you are fishing still water and want to stand to cast a flyrod, a pram may be a good option.

If you want to fish moving water too, you can consider pontoons, something like a nu canoe, or a boat like a Riverhawk. You can review them all via google.

Default square stern

I have an Old Town Discovery sport. Its a 13 foot square stern canoe - wide and stable as heck , not a good paddler but scoots along quite well with a 3 hp gamefisher motor. Its pretty heavy but I can put it on roof racks or in the back of my pickup by myself - and I'm not that big 5'9" 160 lbs. I fish standing up in it all the time. In fact i have one of those tiller extenders and motor about while standing up as well.

I got a 14' sportspal SS that weights in at 4o odd pounds, got a 2.5 hp 2 stroke that pushes it okay, fast enough in unexplored still water, anyways. I carry it around in the pan of my truck. Stern first upside down with the nose untop of my tail gate in the closed position. I tie it down from the cross member which is just inside the tailgate to the pan tie downs with racket straps. Works fine while travling at speeds of 100 km/h about 60 mph (I think). The boat is stable enough to stand on stillwater while drifting slowly.
    Barnes

it all depends on your budget. you can go from a used alumnacraft in the 500 range to a custom built wood and canvas from roland thurlow upwards of 6000. check out norwest canoes they have a 15 footer thats nice. also if you have time you can build a rangeley boat (square stern) that weighs about 95 pounds made of cedar strips and fiber glass covered for about 2000. to see them check out newfound woodworks. i used an alumnacraft for years and absolutely loved it. good luck !
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

I have an old grumman and love it but if you have to lift it over your head onto a rack it can be a bit much alone. But very stable once on the water and a pleasure to fish out from.

hutjensmpg Guest

Cranberry creek - made exactly for what you're looking for.

http://www.lake-link.com/businesses/...BusinessID=445

+ Reply to Thread