+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hope you saved your old fishing licenses

Default Hope you saved your old fishing licenses

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but here in New York a few years ago they switched to a flimsy green plastic credit card sized fishing license. Gone is the old paper license with colorful stamps. I predict the old licenses will become collector items and it won't be long before they start appearing on ebay and in antique tackle catalogs. Hope you saved yours. Did you?

I've saved all my Duck Stamps, both Federal and various States.

I've never saved a fishing license except a very special one from a trip to Idaho a few years ago.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

Bob, RW here,

I lived in Jersey until I retired to Maine. (55 years). My wife says I'm a pack rat and keep just about everthing (don't all flytiers?) But she's right. I probably have a minimum of 35 or 40 old Jersey resident licenses (maybe more with the non-resident licenses I bought after I moved). These have the trout stamp that had to be bought seperately and pasted on the regular license. Problem is you had to sign across the stamp to make them valid. That probably makes them more (if not completely) valueless to a future collector. Unless, of course you are famous, which I certainly am not...lol. Anyhoo, if the time ever comes when they're worth something..I've got em. Maybe I'll steam them off the old licenses and frame them under glass, with a few flies to enhance the display. Would at least be a conversation piece and an ice-breaker at the shows where I tie.

When I was younger, I used to carry season non-resident licenses for 5 northeastern states, now only two. I also remember when Pennsy used to have the license and the annual beany type button you use to pin to your hat or jacket (remember them)? I bet les does. The other states didn't require you to wear your license on an outer garment. But I think Jersey still does. Thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't have thought of it.

See you at the Danbury show if not before.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 20 October 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

That's the beauty of it RW, they are all signed. I predict people will start collecting them from every state. I am talking future but I bet even if you put one on ebay now with a nice write up about how rare these things are because just like old lure boxes, a lot of times they were just discarded in the trash, it would sell.! might be your heirs that make out but someday they will have a value....See you at the shows,...Bob

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 20 October 2005).]

mantis,

I have a few, but their condition is not that good, seems I crinkle em or they get wet from my taking unplanned swims.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:5a789]FlyReelDots.com[/url:5a789]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

While I would not normally save fishing licenses (I have too much junk already), I have an old army jacket that I use to change the oil in the car. It still has a 1975 Connecticut fishing license pinned to it. I guess it has been a while.

David

Like RW mentioned; many moons ago Pennsylvania had an intelligent, (imagine that?), system where you got a pin on button along with your paper info license. The pin was easily attached to an outer garment and didn't flop around in a strong wind and drive you nuts. Unfortunately they went away.

I often times see button collections at shows and flea markets going for a decent amount although not really expensive. I have saved every license I ever bought and the booklet that came with it; probably worthless but like RW I hope someday to do something with them in a frame.

There are so many better ways to do licensing that would be less expensive in the long run and more practical from a renewal standpoint but other than internet sales we still plod along with this archaic system.

Blog Entries

I've got my grandad's hunting license from 1931. Stilled stuck in the stock of his double-barrel.

------------------
    Life doesn't begin at 40 if you went 80 at 20.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Mantis,

I live in New York too, and personally, I welcomed the green plastic licenses when they were introduced. I do a lot of different kinds of fishing. Consequently, I need to keep my license in my wallet or else I'll end up forgetting to take it half the time. The old license was a big piece of paper that I needed to fold up many times in order to put it in my wallet. By the end of the season, it would be in pretty bad shape. The new license takes up very little space in my wallet. It works for me.

I agree with you Gad...just saying anytime anything isn't produced any more...it becomes a collectors item...may take a while but it will happern. The stamp on is what makes it so. Doesn't matter that they have signatures across them...because they all do. Most people just tossed them. Of course it helps if someone is a well known personality but if in decent shape they will all have some value one day.

+ Reply to Thread