+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Late Beats Never"

Thumbs up "Late Beats Never"

Joe,

A neat article on the main page. It was something, looking at that little bugger...even made me dig out a dime and envision the fly.

Hmmm, super tiny for my buggers! Maybe I'll have to whip out a few for the tough times next season! And in different colors.

Jeremy.

Although simple, the pattern is ridiculously effective!

Joe, what material is the tail? It doesn't appear to be marabou, but yet doesn't quite look like rabbit either. Perhaps I am psyching myself out - looking too hard.

Rocking article!

Good job on the article!

SKershaw,
    Looks like Arctic Fox to me. But that might be because I recently bought some!

Kirk

Hi SKershaw,

I don't know if it is one of the small buggers I tied, or one that one of the other guys tied. It looks like there might be an "eye" painted on the bead, and if that is the case it is not one of mine. I can't tell for sure.

At any rate I use rabbit for the tail on a lot of the small buggers I tie. It is really tough and has good movement too. The fur on the bugger in Joe's picture looks like rabbit to me.

Peter Frailey has good articles on using rabbit for bugger tails. I don't know if he originated the concept of rabbit for bugger tails or just made them more popular.

Peter recommends buying zonker strips for sources of rabbit. I have zonker strips, also some pieces of dyed rabbit from Ebay, and some rabbit that I dyed myself.

Regards,

Gandolf

Not positive but I think the tail is marabou. The Wooly Bugger in the photo is the one that caught all those fish. I photographed the fly a couple days after the trip, after it had dried out. The tail fibers were still all stuck together like dried algae and I had to rub the tail between thumb and index finger to fluff the fibers back to their original bushy look. That makes me think it's a marabou tail; marabou does that.

The body of the bugger is pretty cool, too. There are tones of dark green and black. Plus there's a reflective quality as well. Interesting material whatever it is.

I keep trying to NOT take up fly tying. Don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Thanks for all the help, fellers! Excellent ideas there too... I have never tied with arctic fox. I will give all those ideas a shot!

Hate to admit I rarely read the articles here. I will take a look however.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Joe, what you describe does sound like marabou...at first glance yesterday I thought..arctic fox...but in the larger picture in your article at the bottom of the tail I believe you can see a quill.

What you describe for the body sounds like Ice Dub...peacock black.

I once lived with an arctic fox.

Well, she was a fox -- that much I knew. I just didn't realize how "arctic" she was until after she'd gone through about half my savings account.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

+ Reply to Thread