+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Fly!

Talking One Fly!

How many fish have you caught on one fly? Never changing the fly, maybe the tippet because of the windknots. but not the fly!?
    So far I'm up to 32 not counting a dozen LDR's and many hits. This week I plan to get it to 50 (caught 18 on it's twin before it came apart!).

My best day of fishing ever was on the same fly for about 14 fish-really great fish.
    I dont' know what I did with the exact fly that caught them but I definitely immortalized that particular pattern in my fly box.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Jack,

I can understand having to stretch a dollar in this economy, but isn't that taking it to an extreme?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I caught like 12 bass on the same fly. the hackle came off the wooley bugger but they didn't mind. then they died down the next outing and the steelies came so I never tried for more but its still tied to my 5wt rod. if you have a hares ear nymph or something i have caught chubs galore on them all day. they hold up well. tyrrone nothing is extreme! I will walk out and get any fly I snag if possible instead of breaking it off. I will cut down and reuse hooks when possible too. I am very cheap. haha. but why not be.
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 11-09-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Question Hmmmmmmm

My best recollection is that I took 35 bows and brookies on a single Harrop's Henry's Fork caddis a couple years ago on one of our mountain spring creeks. The same day, before I fished that fly, I had 33 bows and brookies on a single soft hackle pheasant tail.

A few days ago I noticed the rubber legs stonefly nymph I was fishing is one that I was using last winter. ( It's very distinctive because one of the tails broke off about an eighth of an inch from the hook. ) I know I've fished it quite a few days, and it may well have caught more than 35 browns and whitefish in the South Fork by now, with more to come.
    The fish are always right.

I've had similar experiences fishing the mountain streams here in East Idaho, catching upwards of 50 fish on the same fly in a single day and missing probably twice that many. Happened two different days just this last September, once with a #16 Yellow Humpy on Fall River, and once with a #16 Parachute Adams on Rainey Creek. I think it's probably because the fish are generally smaller in the mountain creeks and don't beat the fly up as much, although the brushy conditions can certainly make it a challenge.

Blog Entries

I'd guess about 30 or 40 10-12 inch trout on a #14 Copper John . Tied tightly it is almost indestructable. If I do it right and check the tippet every once in a while and re tie when necessary I almost never lose one.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Exact number is unknown but I am 99% certain that it is over 100.

Tim

I stopped at an even 30 trout - some of respectable size - in just under 2 hours of evening fishing this past summer on the Yellowstone, all caught on one size 16 Parachute Adams.

19 assorted browns and 'bows on a #16 haystack....until the tree ate it ..funny thing, I re-tied with another #16 haystack, and the fish just flipped me a fin
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

+ Reply to Thread