I think there are two reasons that the number of fishing licenses has not increased and has decreased in some areas that may not be immediately considered. One is that at the shows I run into a ton of people who ONLY fish salt water. I believe you still don't need a license to fish the ocean. Secondly I have run into a surprising number of fishermen who do not buy a license. I'll meet someone on a stream and while we are waiting for a hatch or spinner fall we start talking and I'll say something like, "Boy, almost forgot to buy my license." to which I get several replies.
"This is private water (The owner of the motel we stay in leases a mile of posted water for his motel guests only), you don't need a license to fish here". OR, "I haven't seen a game warden in 30 years."
I've also run into out of towners or out of country fishermen who when asked will give the excuse that I'm only fishing one day, or, I'm only fishing this weekend. Because this irks me I often will bring the subject up in a round-a-bout way such as.."man, licenses are going up again", or "You aren't going to believe this but I just got asked to see my license by a DEC guy. Boy, that hasn't happened to me since I was in my twenties." When they ask 'Which way was he heading' or, 'Guess I'll head on back to the motel, wife wants to have an early dinner'...I suspect.."No License."
I sure wish NY made it a rule that you had to wear your license pinned to your back like a hunting license.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 17 October 2005).]