+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raw Feathers, what next?

Hybrid View

Red face Raw Feathers, what next?

After traveling about 90 miles to fish a pretty nice spot (Bilby Ranch Lake) in Mo I had a nice thing happen. Got just plain blown off the water (that isnt the good part). Couldnt cast for any thing . The wind was just too much. While contemplating my predicament and enjoying the almighties handiwork , low and behold here comes some hunters. They had scored a pheasant , ring neck to be specific. Not being one to pass up an opportunity I asked could I have the head. Cool, the guy gave me the head and the neck ( lots of neck ) . Does that "lots of neck" connstitute the "cape"? So now that I have it all cleaned off and sitting under all of the salt in the house , what next. I have a few ideas of what I could use this treasure for but just what are the possibilities for a "ring neck pheasant cape?Thanks,
    Perch

Nice score Perch. I have a couple sitting around so I will watch this thread with interest.
    Steve

Perch...it's not the cape....you might find this interesting/helpful

http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

Smile Raw Feathers

Hi Perch,
    If those were my feathers, I would go to the laundry section of the grocery store and buy a box of BORAX. Put the feathers in an Isolation box (Rubbermaid with a tight fitting lid)and dump BORAX on both sides of the feathers. That will take care of any critters amongst the feathers and in the feather quills. Leave it in the closed up box for a couple of months then take them out, wash thoroughly with a good quality pet shampoo or DAWN dish soap. Let them dry thoroughly and then repeat step 1 with fresh BORAX and let it sit for another month and then repeat step 2. There should not be anything left in or on the feathers but I would not take any chances with having any of your other expensive tying materials becoming infested by untreated "gift" feathers. Keep them in the isolation box.

Fatman Guest

I would do the washing in Dawn now that you have everything cleaned and fluff with a hair dryer on the feather side only then put in the box with borax on both sides. No need for extra steps

Fatman

Soft hackles, Wings on caddis and hoppers. Throats on wet flies. Tails, wing cases and legs on nymphs. Cheeks on streamers. ALL Sorts of stuff.

I would have complimented the hunters and then gone to the fly shop and bought the whole tanned pelt for $9.95 (Yep, ringneck pelts are very inexpensive) and saved myself all that work. Plus, I'd already be tying flies while others might be waiting months for the pelt to be ready.

I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age. I look at the amount of work and time for a DYI project vs just buying it, and then do the math from there. Laziness usually wins for me.

Just my 2 cents

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hey perch, congrats on the new feathers... I used to like to get fresh stuff, back not to long ago, it was my favorite way to get tying materials. I know that ring neck doesn't cost that much and right now I probably would prefer that way, but I really enjoyed getting my materials fresh. I enjoyed that part like tying my on flies. Not to take away anything from gerri's method, but I have to agree with Fatman, no need for extra steps. I would also not seal the box but make it so air can get in and out, that will speed up the drying out alot faster cause it will not trap moister, I would also make sure if possible it was as close to outdoors as you can get it like a barn, utilility shed, etc. I never used salt. borax will kill anything that its laid on, dry the life right out off it, blood, fat, little critters and all...

+ Reply to Thread