+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech question

Default Tech question

I no longer have the use of the Profile and eMail icons on an individuals post; nor, can I click on a link within a post. Nothing happens when I "click".

Now; this problem showed up after downloading and using PCTools Registry Mechanic, but not until about the 4th. scan. I had left the automatic scan at start-up on. I have since Uninstalled the program but the problem persists.

The procedure given from PCTools support did nothing and they claim it's not from their end.

Any suggestions?

Jim

P.S. The program must have worked 'cause the machines' running at mach speed now, except for.....

[This message has been edited by jsentell (edited 20 October 2005).]

The same thing happened to me. I couldn't click on anything although FAOL and Ebay out of my favorites list would come up okay. Just couldn't click on anything . I shut off and restarted and everything was okay. Might try it. Not saying it will work for you but it did work for me. Good luck.

...thanks Mantis, but I've reset my preferences and restarted several times; still nothing....

Jim

Jim, did you do a restore before you uninstalled the program?

If you are using IE, Try this:

Update IE and then in IE go to "Tools", "Internet Options" and in the "Security" tab and the "Advanced" tab click the "Default Level" and "Restore Defaults" buttons.

------------------
    Joe

pc tools may have defaulted you away from having access to pop up seperate window for links check IE's options and insure it is identified as open link in new window.It may be as simple as that. It is like having a firewall blocking link access in reverse

Jim,
    I'm with JC. I have "shutdown" the computer & no help, but if I "turn off" the computer, it comes back fine! Darned if I have a clue why, but turning off or unplugging the 'puter has been the answer for me. As my wife says, there are gremlins living in these da*( things!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks everyone.....tried all the above, no go...

I'm headed to the basement for the solution...my favorite ball peen hammer!!!

Oh well, humor didn't work either...

Jim

MANY, MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO TRIED TO HELP!

I fixed it accidently....was as simple as Uninstalling Spyware Doctor!!!!!!

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease! I'll just stick with my free version of Spybot S&D.

Thanks again everyone, Jim

Glad you got prob fixed. I am just a computer operator....not a techie. But with Windows XP when I have a problem....I just restore to a date previous to the day I got the problem and my computer just starts working normal again. So far has worked for me about 6 times. Just find the way to reset to a previous date, like last month, and tell it to go for it. You probably already know this. But if you or others don't I can go through the steps on my machine and post them here if anyone wants me to. It's a piece of cake.

Gem

To expand on JC and Ohio....pulling the plug can work for some things and especially if a wireless gateway/router is involved and the sequence it's done can be a factor.....some things just have to start over and re communicate and "find" each other.

Hard to beat the restore approach...

This am I was watching a TV guru and he went through recommendations for security....mostly free....Jim, you might find it useful in place of your spydoctor....I'll find it and post....

+ Reply to Thread